Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i recently developed an issue with my bike wear it started with the front end bouncing at 50-55MPH. Anything faster or slower it's smooth. I figured no problem I'll just keep it sway from that speed if I can. Well, I recently went for a spirited ride and was going around a round about, and the front tire slipped. I have a very sticky shinko Apex F010 on the front and a Pilot Pure 2ct on the rear. Tire pressures are fine, balance is good on the front tire and the rear. I have recently changed the fork oil with 7.5w amsoil, and noticed that my rebound adjusters are no longer giving me the usual 13 clicks. I get 5 max from full soft to full hard. So I figured something was wrong with what I did.

I noticed that when I got back from the ride I have a cup from the center of the tire to outside which is bothering me. I also believe this "cupping" is what caused my slip. So what I need to find out is this. When I tear into the forks again, and change the oil again. Is there a trick I should know about, when putting everything together? I mean preload and rebound all the way in? Or out?

·
Registered
10,836 Posts
It is cupping because the rim is not balanced right or your suspension is way off. FYI it is also good practice to run the same tire brands on the front and rear.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK well I guess I'll get the tire balance checked just in case. I would be running the same tires front and rear if I had the money to get both. I am going to replace the front asap though. Now about the rebound adjuster issue I am having?

·
Registered
10,836 Posts
Start from full soft and dial it in.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I meant where should they be when re-assembling them? I had them set to full soft, and now I only get 5 clicks where I used to get at least 12.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
There is supposed to be 12mm (.47") or more of exposed threads above the nut on the damper to thread into the cap. Then there should be 25mm (0.98") recess up from the bottom of the cap inside the rebound adjuster. So using a vernier, measure up into the recess and turn the adjuster until it is at 25mm.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HUH? got pics? I'm not too familiar with forks as I have only been into a set once in my life. Mine. So I'm not quite sure what you mean..

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
:headscratchCK, I have photos loaded into photo bucket but am computer illiterate and cannot get them loaded here. Any suggestions???

·
Administrator
58,562 Posts
:headscratchCK, I have photos loaded into photo bucket but am computer illiterate and cannot get them loaded here. Any suggestions???
scroll over the pic and a list will appear. Go to the last one that says "IMG code". You should be able to click on it and it will say "copied". Then just "paste" it in your post.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
well shinko is basically a drag tire so I wouldn't consider that a really sticky tire in turns. I had shinkos on my bike before the 2ct's and they were like concrete compared to the Michelins

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well the Shinko I have on the front is pretty sticky. The rear was also good. When I change it though I will get the matching Pilot Pure for the front.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I took the axle out and checked everything out to make sure it was all good. Cleaned the brakes and bled them out today and so far my hobble seems to have gone away. Turns out my tire pressure had lost 10 pounds in a week.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
well shinko is basically a drag tire so I wouldn't consider that a really sticky tire in turns. I had shinkos on my bike before the 2ct's and they were like concrete compared to the Michelins
Not all shinkos are drag tires. I had one on the back of the 7 and once it was warm and got the entire thing scrubbed in it stuck beautifully.

Sounded like a tire pressure issue to me, that and I haven't run a set 2cts that didn't wear unevenly.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Watson I think it was a pressure thing too.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Tire pressures are fine, balance is good on the front tire and the rear.
this!!!! then

Turns out my tire pressure had lost 10 pounds in a week.
and then!

Thanks Watson I think it was a pressure thing too.

:angry , i see a problem in this area.

also..

Well the Shinko I have on the front is pretty sticky.
and
I have a very sticky shinko Apex F010 on the front
but

was going around a round about, and the front tire slipped.
????

i know you said

I also believe this "cupping" is what caused my slip.
but cup'ing or scalloping are usually on the middle of the tire and going in a circle will put you on the edge of your tire, so you would you still think its a cupping that caused the slip?

And to finalize it.

I mean preload and rebound all the way in? Or out?
dont mess with it if you do not know what you are doing or at point of asking what you should do with it.
rebound and suspension is suppose to be set to the riders weight and riding style, so have someone adjust these to help you, not just turn dials.
you would have to push and compress the bikes suspension and watch the speed and height of the rebound and then adjust it accordingly.

and dont go all the way to soft, and dial in..
First go to stock.. then go either to soft or hard depending on your riding style.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK still got the hobble. new tire, new fork oil, (had to replace leaky seals) balance on the tire is good. I'm still hobbleing. Also I have progressive springs and stock valving all setup for a 180 Lbs rider. I'm only 135 with full gear. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
try rebuilding the motor
Why even bother having any input if it's gonna be something stupid? I don't think you have enough Facetime around here for anything like that. Keep stupid shit to yourself.

Christi, I'm no suspension expert but it sounds to me like that's what your issue is. I'm like you, I like doing everything myself also but when it comes to certain things, I bite the bullet. I would suggest taking the bike to a local shop or dealer and having them dial in the suspension to your weight/riding.

If you have it set up for a 180lb rider and your 135lbs, I would think that the suspension is too hard coming around a turn at a full lean.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Back when i had my katana i had this problem, if you run a tire that is low on pressure the air it back ip it causes the bumps on the tires that you described. Not sure if thats happened here but its my 2¢
Edit: after reading christis last post i agree that its a suspension issue
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 24 Posts