Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking for feedback from others who might be experiencing the same problem or have any ideas as to what the issue might be.

I've now got just under 4,000 miles on the GTR including a couple of thousand of high speed motorway(freeway) miles. Recently I've noticed some weird handling. In slow speed corners, such as on roundabouts or mountain hairpins, the handlebars seem as though they want to fold in on themselves. The whole of the front end seems as though it wants to tuck in on itself. The only option for me is to consciously load the inner bar and actively push out/down. Without doing this the bike totally feels as though it's just going to tuck the front end.

I've chatted with one other GTR owner with similar mileage and he's experiencing exactly the same problem. We're both experienced and have not come across this before. The other guy thinks it could be the tyres wearing, a view his local dealer supports (only via telephone conversation without seeing/testing the bike). I've looked at my tyres and whilst they're clearly wearing, they look good for a few more 1000 mile yet as you'd expect.

Certainly didn't have this problem initially. It seems to have crept up me, gradually getting worse.

Anyone have any similar experiences or ideas as to the cause?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Garryg,
I had something similar happen to me with my 2003 Concours after 5000 miles. It in fact turned out to me my front tire. Apparently from what I was told the tire came from a bad batch from the manufacturer. Just a thought.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I'd go with tyre wear. The flat from a lot of highway use and the point where it transitions to the sidewall.
gammac

·
Registered
184 Posts
I know that a run of the mill tire gauge can cause a lot of trouble over the long run. Broke down and bought a good one for the new bike.

·
Registered
261 Posts
The Stock 021's are a dual compound tire. Harder rubber in the center for straight line hi mileage, softer rubber on the sides for traction in the corners. As the tires wear and get that squared off ridge in the center, it takes more effort to countersteer the bike into a turn, but once "over the hump" takes immediate reversal of the steering input to "catch" your line and prevent the front end "turning in". This is why it feels like you have to stand the bike back up quickly or else you'll lose the front end.. Also now that the tire has this wear, your contact patch is much smaller as the tire looses its round shape.

A tire with all one type of rubber will not wear this way.. but you may not get the mileage you'd like, but a more even wear that lets you steer predictably all the way to the end of the tire life.

Try a set of Avon Storms... they are a fabulous tire both wet and dry, Never felt a better steering tire before. Or Michelin Road Pilot 2's when then are released. I'm anxious to see one of us try them and report on um.

Jerry

·
Registered
63 Posts
I know that a run of the mill tire gauge can cause a lot of trouble over the long run. Broke down and bought a good one for the new bike.
what - one of the digital?:headscratch

never gave much thought tp the tire gauge

·
Registered
228 Posts
Stating the obvious I know, but have you checked the tyre pressures, even a drop of 2 psi has quite a marked effect on the bike, especially on the front tyre.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Garry, it certainly sounds like a tyre problem. As these are the exact symptoms that I got when my tyre pressures dropped to 40psi cold, I would assume that after 4000miles you have a good handle on your tyre pressure settings to 42psi. The 021's are a new tyre and I don't know how they should perform on a bike of this caliber or even if they should be on a bike of this caliber, only time and use will tell. Its always good to get feedback from other users regarding different tyre brands but we have different riding conditions and roads here in the UK than they do in the US and that needs to be taken into account.
It may be that the bike is just a bit too heavy for this compound which was initially meant for the lighter sports tourers like the VFR, Sprint etc. Some guys in the states have put on more mileage so some feedback from them would be appreciated. The Road Pilot 2 is of a similar dual compound rubber so would probably not perform any better than the Bridgestones. Looks like we shall be argueing about tyre compounds like the Moto GP guys :lol

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm on top of tyre pressures (and have tried different settings any way).
I've tried various suspemnsion settings with out success.

So it seems as though the general opinion is tyre wear....but with 4,000 miles for the front! Seems well out of order from me. No prblems like this in the GSXR1000, Busa or ZX12.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have exactly the same problem as Garry. I am nearly down to the "side" wear line on the front after only 3500 miles. Its a very strange feeling to the point where it feels almost dangerous. I too had a Busa before this bike which I tracked day'd a lot so the side walls were always well worn. Always check the pressures B4 every ride as the Busa was a bit prone to low pressures but not to this degree. I'm 95% convinced that its the tyres but will have to change the front b4 the rear which is not so worn. A first in my many years of motorcycling.

I am surprised that Kawasaki put these tyres on in the first place they obviously did not go the distance to see what longevity they had. To give you an idea of the 3500 mile makeup ....first 1k was running in on UK roads (which are pants!)
then a trip down thro France a week in the Pyrenees and then home (staying off highways as much as poss). Only way to really tell is to try a new one which are as rare as rocking horse sh1t.! I guess it will be a while before we get any reports of other tyres on this bike . God knows how you get 10000 miles from a tyre like somebody did on this forum!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi

as i have only made around 2200 km, i cannot tell you how long the BT021 will last. But if the tyres will not take more than 6000 km, i think i will try for the Michelin PR2CT which i drive on my CB1300. I really love these tyres, and they have now 6000 km done and it looks like they can have the same distance done again!

regards

marc

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey guys I think you will find only the back 021 is dual compound not the front. But i would go with tyre wear on the front being the problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts