Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another question from Norway,a shame my dealer can't give correct info.

My waterpump started leaking some months ago when I was far away from home attending a course.I was lucky and did find a used one from a local wreckyard,this saving me a lot of trouble(and money). New MC parts in Norway is not only expensive,but also a week or two away when you need them most.
My dealer said it was impossible to overhaul this pump,but I am sure I have heard otherwise.

Anybody done this,I will appreciate some hints. If I could overhaule it,I could keep it "in stock",never know how long this old one will run. A new pump will cost me app.5-600 US:scared

·
Registered
582 Posts
A friend of mine was able to overhaul a 1984 GPZ900 pump. From memory he dismantled the pump and went to a knowledgeable bearing and seal supplier who supplied parts. An engineering works (I think) machined a small amount out of the pump housing to allow the seal to be used. There was something about the shaft size being an imperial size(non metric) and the outer of the seal being metric. Result about a third of the cost of a new one.
gammac

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dismantled pump now

Will need to renew the 2 ballbearings as well as the lipseal and mechanical seal,time will show if i am able to find replacement.
Will keep the idea of machining the housing in mind,when I'm searching.

:eek:hno

·
Registered
33 Posts
Will the online shops not ship to Norway? I just purchased a new pump from www.cheapcycleparts.com for about $150 plus another $10 for shipping across the US. Not cheap, but better than playing the odds with a used ebay pump. Good luck!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will the online shops not ship to Norway? I just purchased a new pump from www.cheapcycleparts.com for about $150 plus another $10 for shipping across the US. Not cheap, but better than playing the odds with a used ebay pump. Good luck!

Checked that online shop,looks like they only ship to US/Canada. Great prices,by the way.Better than Bike Bandit. But if they will ship to Norway,You can be sure there will be some taxes added.(You guy's don't know what expensive is)
Anyway I allready got a used pump installed,running great. I just like to try and repair the old one,first of all for the satisfaction of doing it myself. Simple enough,if only the spare parts was available,just two bearings and two seals.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All parts collected

Like to let everybody know,it IS possible to find spareparts for a total overhaul of the waterpump, ( 2 ballbearings,one lipseal,one mechanical seal and a lock-ring+ o-rings) and no machining necessary. It is all in place now,except from the last bearing,which is almost there,another 4-5 mm to go.Need to find/make a tool to fit on both inner and outer bearing shell,and then just press it on.
And the cost is below 700 Norwegian, new pump is 3000.
Offcourse it remains to find out if pump is tight,but I have good feeling.:nana to my dealer.:mfclap :mfclap

·
Registered
217 Posts
so you're looking at about 180 US for a waterpump? Whew, that's harsh. Hope the rebuild works out. Beautiful country, just can't afford to live there. Sort of like some places in the US...:angry

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the cost is below 700 Norwegian, new pump is 3000.

(mcriderzx11);so you're looking at about 180 US for a waterpump? Whew, that's harsh.

You got it wrong, spareparts are app 120 US$, a new pump from the store is app 525 US$. That is harsh,for sure.( 1 US$ is app 6 NOK)

Looking at "new-pump" price "over there"I am sure you guy's could get the spare parts below 50 US. It's an unfair world:angry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts