Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently got a 05 636 (caim from riding a 250r) and yesterday decided to take it to the car wash and clean it up.
bought a can of foamy degreaser sprayed the bike down and washed it off, when i sprayed the engine i just let the water come out slow sort of like a rinse but for the plastics i pulled the trigger for the max spray pressure.
when the bike started up it sounded like it was on 2 cyls till i got home.
i put it on the stand and let it idle for about 10 mins shut it off and let it sit for 2 hours till i had to go to work.
the symptoms then were rough acceleration (back on all 4 cyls) but idle to 3k it was stumbling then would run fine and free rev fine. when i got to work i let it idle for another 10 mins before i went in shut it off and went to work.
midnight i rode it home and it only studdered from 1k to 2k on take off 1st gear.

this morning i rode to work and it started fine but under WOT conditions it didnt seem like the bike was running strong at all and had random studders from idle 1k to about 1500rpm when the bike was hot (170 or higher) if the temp was under it ran smooth but still didnt feel powerfull.

i figure i got water in the coils, is this going to fix itself over time or should i keep the bike idleing on my stand at home and let it get the engine bay hot so it can evaporate the water, or did i preety much ruin my coils ecu or something electrical?? :banghead:banghead

·
Registered
427 Posts
sounds like you got some water in your intake, fuel tank, or on the coils.. it wont clear itself

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
How he pulled that off is beyond me, these things are made to be ridden in a downpour. I have washed mine with extreme prejudice more than once without issues. You probably hosed it off at an upward angle and forced water somewhere it shouldn't have been.

If its in the coils, fuel, or intake, it will clear itself. There is no reason it wouldn't - water dries up. But that does not mean you won't do lasting damage in the mean time.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Bikes should be polished, not washed. I've never taken a hose to my bike. It helps avoid issues like the one your having.

Water will evaporate off a warm engine or after being left out on a hot day. However, if you got a pool of water somewhere, it will take awhile. Maybe your spark plug cap wasn't sealed on the valve cover and now you have a pool of water around your spark plugs. Best idea is to pull the tank, airbox, coils, and check everything for water.

Don't feel bad, I've had the same thing happen after washing car engines off(another thing not meant to be washed). But sometimes you gotta do it.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I don't know the cause of your problem but it does sound like its getting better on its own. I hope its back to normal soon. I use windex and a soft cloth, then wax to a high gloss sheen.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Bikes should be polished, not washed. I've never taken a hose to my bike. It helps avoid issues like the one your having.
Yeah, maybe if you ride your bike once a month and only when it's perfect outside.

Mine gets ridden rain or shine and parked in a gravel parking lot. You don't polish a layer of dust.

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
Did you get water into the ignition's key hole?

·
Registered
7 Posts
How long did you wait after washing the bike to fire it up? When I would wash my engine bay, which had a Kenne Bell supercharger on it I would use the mist spray and just let the water run off downwards. Let everything dry up and if you have an air compressor try to dry up everything as best you can to avoid puddles of water.

I agree with pulling the intake and checking for puddles of water, it's like dropping a cell phone in the water you don't pull it out and try to make a phone call you take a blowdryer to it and let it sit for a day or two while everything dries up before you turn it on.

I never saw my buddy wash his CBR 1000 either he just bought some spray stuff and wiped everything off the bike and then applied polish to it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
as of today it somewhat cleared up, it doesnt sound the same when running but anytime it rains now the bike sounds like a ducati for about 2 to 3 hours before it comes back to where it was.
after intensive reading and i cant stress intensive enough ive preety much caim to the conclusion the coils got wet and probbly arent functioning correctly.
im gonna take it apart once the new coils and plugs come in the mail and seal all the connections back up

·
Registered
320 Posts
My buddy takes his to a car wash all the time since he lives in an apartment. If you do next time I sugg leaving the bike running while washing it and try to only spray the water like it would hit the bike riding it the rain. Never had any problems when doing it that way but I use jut a garden hose and hand wash for mine. Like I said thou my buddy always uses the car wash

·
Registered
33 Posts
I wash the plastics/tank with water and car wash stuff, but the engine I use brake cleaner, and the wheels I use bug/tar remover. I think I may be a little over-cleaning of my chain and sprockets, ever since I got the supersprox lifetime warranty, I've been cleaning/lubing the chain every 4-500 miles ( I know it says to clean/lube every 500, but I'm usually under that ). But I've never had problems after cleaning/washing my bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts