Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What are the warmest (non-heated) winter riding gloves money can buy? I would prefer the old-fashioned insulated gloves, instead of heated. I have a pair of Thinsulate lined gloves, but my wrists are getting cold even though the glove covers the cuff of my jacket sleeve.

I had a good pair about 20 years ago, but I cannot remember what happened to them.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I like the icon patrol gloves. You may also want to try some snowmobile gloves. they are nice also. I got sick of cold hands and wired up some really nice heated grips on my ZX10R! They are inside the handle bars and have a 4 button heat setting. Mine are made by heat demons.

·
Registered
99 Posts
What are the warmest (non-heated) winter riding gloves money can buy? I would prefer the old-fashioned insulated gloves, instead of heated. I have a pair of Thinsulate lined gloves, but my wrists are getting cold even though the glove covers the cuff of my jacket sleeve.
You live in L.A.?:headscratch
But I agree with preybird, you might wanna look at snowmobile gloves, even though I think you'll find them way to hot. Maybe just try a full length glove as opposed to your short ones.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I use my normal gloves with underarmor glove liners. Good to about 30 to 35 degrees

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions. Yeah, I get cold easily -- especially when I'm hungry. I did a search for glove liners, and didn't see any that cover the wrists. Has anyone seen glove liners that are long like gauntlet gloves?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going to stop by an REI outdoor sporting goods store and check out the glove liners, to supplement the ones I have. I looked at the Held Freezer gloves on-line, and it appears they are good for about 45+ degrees, which for me probably means 50+ degrees because I get cold easy. I'll look into the snowmobile gloves, which is next on my list.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah. When looking at my list of wants (rather than needs), the new Goldwing is at the top of the list. I think the 14R is good for short trips of no more than one hour in each direction. My sport bike riding muscles are still strengthening. The handle bar risers have helped a bit. The trips that have been 100 to 130 miles in each direction are really difficult for me on the 14R.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ended up with a pair Tourmaster fleece liner to put inside the no-name brand Thinsulate lined gauntlet gloves that I have from more than 10 years ago. The fleece liner covers the wrists, so that should probably do the trick. In the meantime, I'll keep my eyes peeled whenever I'm inside a motorcycle gear store. My mother did always say "layered clothing" is the warmest way to go because of the trapped layers of air / insulation.

I also found a dealer with three new and four used Goldwing in stock. Today's ride on the 14R of about 90 minutes there and 75 minutes back was about all my body can handle without hurting afterwards.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions. Yeah, I get cold easily -- especially when I'm hungry. I did a search for glove liners, and didn't see any that cover the wrists. Has anyone seen glove liners that are long like gauntlet gloves?
get cold easily -- especially when I'm hungry :headscratch:headscratch

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
get cold easily -- especially when I'm hungry :headscratch:headscratch
What is so hard to get about that? When you are hungry, your body has less available energy. Fat fucks like myself do not have this problem, so I am guessing that OP is pretty thin/fit.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, I'm only 130 pounds and 5'7". My body temperature drops when I'm hungry, and the coldness begins to set in the hands and feet and then works its way around the rest of the body. I also get very irritable when hungry, and magically turn into a happy camper after I've had a few bites of food.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Might I recommend heated grips? For $30-$50 you can purchase a dual level kit and install it yourself. Quite easy and effective. :)

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That is an excellent suggestion. I'm going to see if I still have the touch / feel needed with the glove liners inside the gauntlet no-name brand gloves, and if that doesn't work, I'll take it to the next level and look into some heated grips.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts