Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
February issue PB magazine lead article "WHY A 2006 ZX-10R BEATS TODAY'S BEST'' Yep a head to head 06 verses 11 10r. Made me so glad I am not trading in my baby! ( like I could afford to if I wanted) Both are stock and of course the 11 kills the 06 in cornering but they were quick to admit it doesnt cost much to bring the 06 up to speed. At 8K rpm the 06 makes 15hp more and 12ft pounds of torque. Which makes it a better street bike. Infact the 11 only starts to pull away at 100mph And it isnt till 11K that there is any advantage. And as the article brings out. "Anyone who rides a liter bike above 11k for prolonged periods of time is either Michael Dunlop or a liar!" Good story get the mag and see which year they say is the best. But looks dont count
cgifly2 is online now Add to cgifly2's Reputation Report Post Edit/Delete Message

· Registered
6,392 Posts
But, didn't we already know how good the Gen 2 is? :headscratch I too almost traded mine in before I made the mods, and now have the East Coast version of your bike. :crazyloco
Who else thinks the Gen2 Rocks?
I put almost 20K miles on one. The motor definitely makes a good hot street weapon. I raised the rear a little on mine so it steered like lightning. It was a little twitchy in the corners. What the '06/'07 really needs is a good aftermarket shock like a Pensky.

· Registered
107 Posts
I put almost 20K miles on one. The motor definitely makes a good hot street weapon. I raised the rear a little on mine so it steered like lightning. It was a little twitchy in the corners. What the '06/'07 really needs is a good aftermarket shock like a Pensky.
Currently working on the suspension, well not currently, it's cross country skiing time now. :rant. It will have to wait 'till spring. But I have great hopes for the BPF and the new swing arm with the 09 Zx6r shock.

· Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yeah I actually had a moment of weakness I must confess. I thought that maybe I would like an RC8 so I got the local Kawi dealer to let me test drive one they had for sale. It was a 09 with 2k on it real clean. It had Michelins (not my favorite) and bone stock. Rode it for 30 min on all the roads I ride my 10 on everyday. Felt confident I gave it a good wringing out. These were my impressions. Feels way weird at first. Bars to high pegs to low. Was ok after 15 min. Beside I could change that. It was unreal light side to side. The back end walked out on the freeway on ramp, (real nice big full circle turn) but controllable. Brakes as good as mine. And the suspension was real nice, soft but firm in the corners, definitely better than my bikes. But the bottom line. Gutless compared to my 10. In fact my 10 pulls stronger from 3k on. I couldn't get the front end up in first gear without clutching it. And I thought V twins were supposed to be champs there. Its almost to embarrassing to say it because it shouldn't be true BUT 152hp just isn't enough! Especially after getting off my 10r. So I guess you all know a little bit more why I felt so "vindicated" that I had made my decision to keep my 10. Really the RC8 was the only bike I would consider owning besides my Kwack. An RC8R you say has more power? Yeah but for that money I ll do Ohlins and BST's on mine and still have money in the bank and still kick it's ass! Have ridden a 1098 extensively and while it definitely is a GREAT bike I would never consider it as my only bike (unless we are talking track) its just to painful on the everyday street. I am so glad I did ride the RC8 though. Answered a question I had. "I wonder if I am prejudice and just think my bike rocks"? Nope it's the Matterhorn!

· Registered
107 Posts
Yeah I actually had a moment of weakness I must confess. I thought that maybe I would like an RC8 so I got the local Kawi dealer to let me test drive one they had for sale. It was a 09 with 2k on it real clean. It had Michelins (not my favorite) and bone stock. Rode it for 30 min on all the roads I ride my 10 on everyday. Felt confident I gave it a good wringing out. These were my impressions. Feels way weird at first. Bars to high pegs to low. Was ok after 15 min. Beside I could change that. It was unreal light side to side. The back end walked out on the freeway on ramp, (real nice big full circle turn) but controllable. Brakes as good as mine. And the suspension was real nice, soft but firm in the corners, definitely better than my bikes. But the bottom line. Gutless compared to my 10. In fact my 10 pulls stronger from 3k on. I couldn't get the front end up in first gear without clutching it. And I thought V twins were supposed to be champs there. Its almost to embarrassing to say it because it shouldn't be true BUT 152hp just isn't enough! Especially after getting off my 10r. So I guess you all know a little bit more why I felt so "vindicated" that I had made my decision to keep my 10. Really the RC8 was the only bike I would consider owning besides my Kwack. An RC8R you say has more power? Yeah but for that money I ll do Ohlins and BST's on mine and still have money in the bank and still kick it's ass! Have ridden a 1098 extensively and while it definitely is a GREAT bike I would never consider it as my only bike (unless we are talking track) its just to painful on the everyday street. I am so glad I did ride the RC8 though. Answered a question I had. "I wonder if I am prejudice and just think my bike rocks"? Nope it's the Matterhorn!
I will excuse your little indiscretion.......This time:rant Not quite time for the 7 year itch yet...!!!!!

· sénior BBQ Master
21,878 Posts
I love my gen 2. Think I got about 25K miles on her and they all were great except for a few miles when I got caught in a hail storm one fall. Those miles sucked.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.