Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve used this weekend to travel from Denver up through the mountains to Steamboat Springs Colorado on my ZX14R and couldn’t imagine a better bike for the trip. It’s fast as #%*#!!! It also gets good fuel economy, does amazing in the corners and is comfortable!! What more could you ask for?? I tried to switch to a touring bike a while back but it didn’t take

Here is a video from doing this last year (or maybe 2018 or 2017 or maybe some other guy ;-) sped up of course. Skip to 0:30 to start.

I’ve always been taught to floor it while passing cars on these two lane highways but on the 14R, somehow I end up north of 170 and coasting back to the speed limit for the next mile or so. Now I pass in 6th.

Still, I wish they would come out with a next generation model with quick shifters, an updated dash, wheelie control, corner lights, cruise control and more. Of course, they don’t want to threaten their own H2 SX so this will never happen

Does anyone else do a lot of touring? What accessories have you found help the most with long days on the bike?

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
Although I ruined it 3 years ago...
Pikes Peak

Monarch Pass

I doubt there's be another ZX-14 edition. KHI is featuring their blower bikes these days.

To answer your question, a comfortable seat and good wind management are the two most important things to deal with for long days in the saddle.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pikes Peak

Monarch Pass

I doubt there's be another ZX-14 edition. KHI is featuring their blower bikes these days.

To answer your question, a comfortable seat and good wind management are the two most important things to deal with for long days in the saddle.
Nice setup! I’ll have to head down south to do some of those rides.

Totally agree about the seat. I put an airhawk on mine and that makes a massive difference. I’ve never experimented with any other wind screens but it feels like the stock one can help keep your wrists from getting tired. All that wind pushing backwards takes pressure off your wrists.

These pictures are Berthoud Pass.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
Didn't do PP, but was in south fork for a few days before labor Day last year on my new ride. Did Monarch, 550, Slumgullion and a few other passes.

Antonito

Blue Mesa

·
6,637 Posts
Pikes Peak

Monarch Pass

Rumor is the last year for the H2 variants is 2021, and the 14 has been rumored to go away for years. It seems KHI is focused on getting Rea a competitive, all new ZX10R next year. We'll see.

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
Where are you guys getting those hard bags for the 14R?
Mine were Givi V35 cases on SW-Motech quick-detach mounts. The top case is an old ZZR 1200 factory sidebag on an SW-M Alu-Rack and Monokey adapter. The sidebags now reside on a friend's 14R and the high-miler topcase is on my KTM on the same sort of rack.

·
Registered
728 Posts
... Does anyone else do a lot of touring? What accessories have you found help the most with long days on the bike?
1" handle bar risers; sport touring high windscreen, bolt-on X-Creen on the top of the sport touring high windscreen, Givi luggage with disconnect; Corbin seat with backrest, custom mount for the rear luggage so that the rear Corbin backrest can be used.

When there was no pandemic, once or twice each year I went from Los Angeles up the 395 past Bishop to Le Vining, hung a left and went through Yosemite at the Tioga Pass, through Groveland, through Modesto, and all the way to Grant Plaza Hotel in Chinatown San Francisco -- spent the night there, then down the 101 the next day and arrived back to Los Angeles around 8:30 p.m. And, a few overnight trips to Las Vegas each year.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Does grandma know you took a pic of her like that?
I'm 50, and she is about 18 years older. Sometime during the year of 2001, she spent the night and still refuses to go home. :) When we go out to a restaurant or a store together, they sometimes ask me if my mother would like x, y and z .... If the inquiry was in Spanish, I generally respond by saying that she is my "mamacita". If the inquiry was in English, I usually do not correct them. Sitting on the same side of the booth at a restaurant usually helps avoid any confusion. The other night, I told her to turn on the A/C before going to sleep because the room was too hot, that she was an "anciana" and could get sick from the heat ... she responded by kicking me pretty hard and scolded me .... :) I don't anticipate telling her ever again that she is an "anciana" ...

Oh ... Another funny story: The local Fed-Ex driver always waived hello to my "mamacita" whenever driving by the neighborhood .... One day Mr. Fed-Ex knocks on the door and asks if my mother was at home .... :) I had to explain to the poor guy that she was not my mother and that ... Soon thereafter a different person was given the same Fed-Ex route .... perhaps it was related to the "let down", perhaps not ...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pikes Peak

Monarch Pass

How did you ruin it?

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
How did you ruin it?
Actually not really sure what happened. I ran off the road on The Pig Trail about 30 minutes into a day ride. Having ridden it many times with no problem, I am at a loss to explain and there were no witnesses. Apparently the accessory centerstand caught a tree root and tore off the crossmember where the stand and the suspension linkage mounts. Most of the plastic was trashed and the tank was dented, but other than the broken frame crossmember, it would have been repairable. I got a broken collarbone and knocked silly for a few minutes. May have fallen asleep?

Still have the complete front end, radiator, wheels, brakes, engine and sundry in the part-out pile. Power Commander III, Healtech Speedo Healer, ATRE and gear indicator still available.
Seat, Wave rotors, rear shock, bar adapter and some other parts gone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts