Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my set up.

All ready to start my un assembly of my top half to check valve clearance. Bike had 28k on it and I do not think anything like this has been done yet. So its time. Found this sight from another site/formus.
http://www.calamarichris.com/zx9r/valveadj1.htm
Seems to be a very good brake down of diy.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
219 Posts
Thanks for the link! Man that guy is super anal about cleaning. I suppose that's probably a good thing when opening up an engine. Checking the valves is something I've gotta do too. Mines got 35k on it. The guy I bought it from said the top end had been rebuilt, but I wouldn't trust it. Engine makes some ticking, might be the valves, or nothing at all. Keep us posted on how yours work out!

·
Premium Member
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will. I am going to take a lot of pictures. Your welcome, the work shown is amazing and thorough. That is one thing I learned in my Fall semester this year. Having the carpet will be nice to be out there bare foot working. Mine does tick. Sounds more on cylinder 4 or at least on that side.

·
Registered
194 Posts
saving thhe link nice thanks man ,.,. one thing tho umm what do you mean work barefoot? is this a freaky fetish thing between u and ur bike :squint lol jkjk :crackup

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
Gotta love the Google search tool on ZXF! Chris' ZX-9R valve adjustment how-to has been listed in a bunch of ZXF valve adjustment threads going back as far as I've been a member. Whoa! That's a long time. :lol <Click here>

Here's one I linked from March 2009.
...one of my favorites from 2010 here

And I'm sure there has to be one from September 2008 too, but I can't find it...I'm looking at pages 30 & 31 of the ZX-9R forum, but I only see the carb adjustment and Miles Per Gallon/Miles Per Tank optimization threads. I'm looking right at Chris' valve adjustment sheet in my Haynes Service manual from Sept 2008 too. I've read just about every thread in here, so I'm pretty sure it's in there...somewhere. :rofl

You're right to some extent about the Google/ZXF search features limitations, unfortunately the search results only go back about three years, missing some of the 728,000 ZXF posts, but however you guys found it. Congratulations! It's an awesome how-to for C, E & F check-ups.

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
saving thhe link nice thanks man ,.,. one thing tho umm what do you mean work barefoot? is this a freaky fetish thing between u and ur bike :squint lol jkjk :crackup
Chris' thread won't apply to your 94 B model. Yours uses rocker arm shims. Much easier.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
*jealous* oh to have space! the bike looks great, I remember when mine was that showroom pretty :angry

·
Premium Member
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Feitsh? Lol. Garage is the ultimate man room. Be nice to have some carpet. I can sit down or lay down when I work. I do not have bike stands. I do have a smoking camel joes light I need to put out there. Well, the garage did not look in order before this. A before picture some how forgot to be taken. I love to have a 2 stall though. I am also on zx-9r.net forms too. Always nice to share knowledge. This valve how to was a total score. I love pictures. I will check the dealer here to see if I can buy the shims I need from them instead of a kit. If not I will hit the site up and see if I can buy some from people on here. Today is the day one. Class cannot be over soon enough. Might be over kill but thought about dropping engine out and doing a stock rebuild kit. But will take off oil pan for some investigation.

·
Premium Member
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She has some scratches from the previous owner. What I like to do is strip the bike done to frame. Paint frame Kawasaki Green. Then get the blue plastics from 99 and put them on. Keeping my green rims and tank. Blue smoke wind shield. Leave the black seats and handle grips for a accents. Be a sex bike. Also get a true blue head light too. Ooo and on my stock muffler where Titanium is, paint that with temperature pain so it will stay green.

·
Premium Member
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That I do not know. Do you have a manual as that would say.

·
Premium Member
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
So I drained the fuel from the carbs and marked what amount was in each carb. It was very very close. #2 was just a little low but nothing to be worried about I think.

Edit, I did notice that valves #2 were open so that would explain it.

·
Premium Member
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, yesterday I got elbow deep into my bike. I found a lot out just from pulling things off. Man, is she dirty and gunky. Glad she is in good hands. (All State) I did find some connectors with some liquid damage.

I am going to get some electrical cleaner and spray them. Also I might wrap them with electrical tape too. It was not that bad taking everything off.

I did find that the pain from my coolant tubes was coming off. I think I am going to add a easy to get to filter for it to be save. Also going to take the water pump apart to see if it is clogged.

So, I know the hooks are for your helmet right? But what are the 4 straps for?

A cold one was helping hand.

Good time to hand wash and wax it all.

Also, now that I have it apart this far, I am going to do the gear selecting level too. The chain and sprocket. Get it done now so I do not have to a month from now. Also, feels darn good. What shims kit should I get that is quality? I am sure I will use it in the life of the bike. Man, I cannot to dance with her. Put a sleeping bag out there and sleep next to her haha.
Thank you.

·
Registered
219 Posts
What I wanna know is how much of a bitch it is to get the pistons to TDC. Done it plenty of times on cars, never on a bike, and my last bike only had one piston. That one small point is what makes me want to have a shop do the adjustments.

·
Premium Member
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am not sure yet. I need to price gaskets and shim kits. See how much it will cost. I believe it is on the lower right side that you turn to turn the engine over. I would say it would not be difficult. Having the carbs off, you will be able to see the valves move. Funds are tight right now. Might be a month till I am done.

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
What I wanna know is how much of a bitch it is to get the pistons to TDC...
:headscratch Take the timing cover off and rotate. There's a mark for 2/3 TDC and 1/4 TDC.

·
Registered
219 Posts
So 2 cylinders are at TDC at the same time? That makes it sound easy, I wasn't sure if there were marks or not. Looks like I'll be adjusting mine eventually.

·
Premium Member
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You can also look down the intake and see the valves move.

·
Premium Member
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay, need some help. I am right now testing the valve clearances. So intake #4 valves are .010 but if I go .011, I can see the valve move. That is a no no right? Seems like the biggest I can get in there moves the valve but if I drop one mm then it will be fine. Am I doing it right? Book is not very clear lol and the site I posted.
Thank you.

·
Premium Member
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is was my valves look like or average wise.

Would be in my best of interest to pull the head and hand clean them then check clearance again? I am thinking about it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts