Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Im such a loser! I have a 1994 b1 zx9r. When i was replacing the shim from no 8 inlet it fell into the timing chain area. Needless to say im kicking myself for letting it happen. I've had a look with a torch but of course i couldnt see it. I haven't done anything else yet (except cry) Any advice?

·
Premium Member
13,076 Posts
If it's a side timing drive motor, take the timing cover off that side of the engine. No way it can get into the crankcase. It'll play hell with the cam drive if you don't get it out. But if it's center drive, you better start fishing with a long magnet.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. I feel somewhat better now. A few things. Its a side not central drive. The original zx9r 1994 model. It doesnt have a timing cover as such. I wish. The cases have to be split to change the cam chain. I was hoping to hear from someone who knows this motor exactly and could tell me exactly what to do?? No matter what im not going to run the motor untill the little bastard is out of there. I guess itll come down to how far i have to pull the motor apart.

·
Premium Member
2,296 Posts
It does have a timing over on the RHS. It is the cover you removed in order to turn the motor over to TDC.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Before I transplanted my ZZR1200 engine into my ZX11, I opened it up partially to assess it's condition. Upon removing the timing cover, I discovered a bonus valve shim sitting there. Hopefully you will be as lucky!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Before I transplanted my ZZR1200 engine into my ZX11, I opened it up partially to assess it's condition. Upon removing the timing cover, I discovered a bonus valve shim sitting there. Hopefully you will be as lucky!
Ok. Fingers crossed i will be so lucky
If it's a side timing drive motor, take the timing cover off that side of the engine. No way it can get into the crankcase. It'll play hell with the cam drive if you don't get it out. But if it's center drive, you better start fishing with a long magnet.
Cheers thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok thanks. Hopefully ive got one there to.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi guys. Im such a loser! I have a 1994 b1 zx9r. When i was replacing the shim from no 8 inlet it fell into the timing chain area. Needless to say im kicking myself for letting it happen. I've had a look with a torch but of course i couldnt see it. I haven't done anything else yet (except cry) Any advice?
Yes. Fairly sure you can get to it by removing the pulse cover.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts