Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

Valve noise?

6K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  CGARRAY17 
#1 ·
So just hit 3800 miles and did my second oil change, and IV noticed louder then normal valve or cam noise and was wondering if its something I should have checked out? Is it supposed to have a valve adjustment this early? Thanks for the help in advance!

#2 ·
No it's most likely the cam chain. The adjuster is a ratchet type and some times doesn't adjust enough. If you put the bike in third gear on a hill with the motor off and clutch out push the bike back a few feet. This will make the adjuster take up the slack and the noise should go away.... Hope it is the issues man....

#3 ·
Wow I have 5700 miles.I just changed oil 500 miles ago with 10W-30 synthetic oil and K&N filter.It shifts so smooth and no cam chain noise.The oil I bought was from Brock.It is called Asylon.I don't put many miles on my bike but change it every spring anyhow.Maybe my pipe is too loud to hear anything wrong.Out of site out of mind right.

#8 ·
GP3 it does have hydraulic cam tensioner but some times it doesn't advance like it should. if you do that trick it will click to the next notch and some of that noise will go away....If he's not happy afterwards then he can go with the manual adjuster.....that works real nice! :evil

#9 ·
Ya im going to get it dyno tuned tomorrow morning then ill try that trick and see what it dose thanks everyone and ill start a new thread in the morning detailing my results from the custom map!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com App

#11 ·
Well brought it in last week to the dealer and gave them all my warranty info and two days later they call and tell me it was just loose header bolts and it was ready for pick up. I get there and they charged me 105 because it was an aftermarket exhaust. Im like 105!!!! To tighten a header bolt thats ridiculous, he was like its a minimum of 1 hour labor no matter what. Needless to say im not going back to that dealer. I wish they would of just called me first and told me and i would have just done it myself. :(

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com App

#15 ·
Somefun,

Im not clear on your hill move?? Put the bike in 3rd and while in gear with the clutch out roll the bike backwards down the hill, using gravity to help rotate the engine backwards??

Thought rotating the engine/cam chain backwards was a no no?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.