Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the shop wanted to charge me to dig into the engine. And they have no idea if its even worth fixing.

Can't idle, gotta baby sit it when you start it or it will choke out for sure. RPM's are not steady, runs like this with or without power commander. Someone said it could be a valve issue? All cylinders get spark, one cylinder is about 10 pounds lower then the others, would that cause this?

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
What are some other symptoms? I had a friend chase a "bad idle, running rough" issue that turned out to be a bad ECU (it cracked then got wet, maybe during their fender eliminator install then caught in a shower towing it to bike week last year). It would idle fine then just idle like sh*t, then fine again. Was an 07/08 zx6

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ECU was just replaced because of the infamous cooked ECU issue in the 05's.

other symptoms

no power band after 9-10k RPMS

Everything else is in the video

RPM's are out of control
sounds like a buel
just runs like shit in general.

·
Registered
81 Posts
"one cylinder is about 10 pounds lower then the others, would that cause this?"
I take it you mean compression wise one cylinder is 10 psi lower than the others in which case it would not cause the bike to misfire as in the video . 10% is the norm . Done a 2002 zx9r last year that had a misfire on tickover and when the throttle was fully open and it was still bloody fast . Number 2 cylinder was done to 50psi (standard about 170psi) and it ticked over better than your bike . I reckon its electrical

·
Premium Member
13,206 Posts
Your shop isn't necessarily trying to screw you over. Diagnosis of obscure problems can sometimes take much more time than the actual fix, especially when it comes to electronics. Some guys take the 'shotgun' approach and just start replacing things until problems show improvement. This can end up being more expensive than proper diagnosis. If you eliminate all the mechanical possibilities, it has to be electrical or fueling (also electrical with EFI).

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did notice that once you turn on high beams RPM's too tend to drop a little, turn them off they go back up. I really dont want to go thru that wiring harness tho -_-

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Have a friend with the same gen you can swap hardware with?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pulled out the whole wiring harness tonight. found a couple chaffed wires by the fuel pump. Checking the rest of it tomorrow, gonna try to find and 05-06 ecu to swap real quick see if it fixes it.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What are some other symptoms? I had a friend chase a "bad idle, running rough" issue that turned out to be a bad ECU (it cracked then got wet, maybe during their fender eliminator install then caught in a shower towing it to bike week last year). It would idle fine then just idle like sh*t, then fine again. Was an 07/08 zx6

This bike hasent seen rain let alone water since late last year.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Your shop isn't necessarily trying to screw you over. Diagnosis of obscure problems can sometimes take much more time than the actual fix, especially when it comes to electronics. Some guys take the 'shotgun' approach and just start replacing things until problems show improvement. This can end up being more expensive than proper diagnosis. If you eliminate all the mechanical possibilities, it has to be electrical or fueling (also electrical with EFI).
What are the mechanical possibilities? All FI's check out, all fire, everything. Got good strong spark, and 185pounds across 3 cylinders, #2 is at 160ish

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Officially stuck, took the wiring harness out, looked for chaffed or cooked wires found one, ground on the fuel pump and thats it. All valves are with in tolerance ranges. I have NO idea what is causing the running problem at this point. Honestly any suggestions would be nice at this point :[

·
Registered
48 Posts
Have you checked injectors? I had a very similar problem to this a few weeks ago (search for the thread). Took the shotgun approach replaced a bunch of stuff and still didn't fix it. I checked my injectors with the screwdriver to ear method and all sounded fine. Finally caved and took to shop. Turned out to be a bad injector. They fired normal and seemed fine but one had a bad seal or something so when it was low rpm it was basically flooding the motor and ran like crap. Idk something to check. Don't do my method! $1,000.00 dollars later it's finally fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did check the injectors and they all fire. I'll figure how to check of they are flooding the engine. Thanks.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I did check the injectors and they all fire. I'll figure how to check of they are flooding the engine. Thanks.

This may sound a bit antiquated but check the exhaust temps for each cylinder with a laser temp gauge. This can tell you if one cylinder is running colder or hotter than the rest, which in turn can help find if an injector is clogged. Just because the injector is being told to open doesn't mean it is delivering the right amount of fuel. Again this isn't a great way to check things out but it can help guide you in the right direction.

·
Registered
602 Posts
This may sound a bit antiquated but check the exhaust temps for each cylinder with a laser temp gauge. This can tell you if one cylinder is running colder or hotter than the rest, which in turn can help find if an injector is clogged. Just because the injector is being told to open doesn't mean it is delivering the right amount of fuel. Again this isn't a great way to check things out but it can help guide you in the right direction.

I've done this before and it is an awesome way to help diagnose. The only other way to test an injector beyond it open and closing is to bench flow test it, and then see if it matches to the volume it is suppose to move per hour.

·
Registered
88 Posts
is there vacuum leak somewhere causing it lean out.which causes high idle?i see you have the kleen air done thats why i ask. also i had a problem with the plug boots they really need pushed in hard as hell to click in fully, that made my bike mis fire identical to that. last when the fuel pump primes it should shoot a 6ft stream i cant remember the exact amount that comes out off hand also my bike is a 05 636

1 - 17 of 17 Posts