Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im about to have my valves adjusted as I don't believe the po had done it when I got the bike at 17xxx on the clock. Question is will this by any chance help out gas mileage at all? Im getting 25 mpg no matter how I ride right now. Actually less. I found out I get exactly 100 miles on my 4.5 gallon tank. Ask me how I know ;) happened right as I pulled up to the gas pump.

·
11,782 Posts
It'll help a little bit just because the valves will be closing and opening at proper intervals and distances but I don't think that it would drop your gas mileage that bad. What other maintenance have you done?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oil, air filter, ram air box is cleaned out as well as the tube. tire's are good. What else should I mention?

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
You'll definitely want them to perform a cylinder compression test before and after the valve maintenance. High PSI 170-210 is indicative of a tight precision motor, ~150 is average for a middle-age bike and anything below that, say in the ~120 range is poor. I've seen post valve adjustment bumps to PSI of about 10%. Enough to verify that the engine, in fact, was out of spec.

It still shouldn't affect your MPG that badly, so check your gearing (teeth) and ECU map as potential sources of your issues. Are you perhaps only showing city riding MPG results?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A good majority of my riding is in the city but even when hitting the freeway 3 times a week for 32 miles a pop, she wouldnt seem to do any better than 25mpg.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts