Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I AM A PROUD OWNER OF AN 07' ZX6R AND AN 06' DUCATI MULTISTRADA S. I'M THINKING OF SELLING THE DUCATI AND BUYING A CONCOURS 14 DUE TO SERVICE COSTS. CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT THE VALVE INSPECTION INTERVALS ARE? I'VE READ 15,000 & 26,000 MILES.:dunno

·
Registered
90 Posts
That is funny Timo. Mine doesn't have a "K" next to it, but has an "e". It also has a dot under the 24 (15) column. :banghead Clear as mud. :headscratch

·
Registered
215 Posts
Did my valve clearance on my zx14 at 30,000 only because i put in different cams and they were all within perimeters.:clap

·
Registered
19 Posts
Greatlakesrider

I'm in the States...as you know all we have here is the ZG1400 (Concours). However I am reading the shop service manual I borrowed from my local Kaw dealer. On the Cover it says ZG1400, GTR1400, Concours

It also says 26,000 miles valve clearance inspection.

·
Registered
19 Posts
That is funny Timo. Mine doesn't have a "K" next to it, but has an "e". It also has a dot under the 24 (15) column. :banghead Clear as mud. :headscratch

Are you reading a shop service manual or your owners manual? I think I would trust the service manual. I asked my dealer and he said it was 26,000 miles.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Are you reading a shop service manual or your owners manual? I think I would trust the service manual. I asked my dealer and he said it was 26,000 miles.
The info I posed was from my owners manual. I sure do hope it ends up being 26,000 though.

·
Registered
109 Posts
According to the service manual (printed, US edition), for US and .CA (canada) bikes, the interval is indeed 15K miles. For all other regions, it's 26K miles.

Why the difference? Who knows, perhaps the bikes are somewhat less powerful in the other regions?

It should also be noted that the actual for the adjustment instructions is on 2-24, not 2-22. The above image is from page 2-3 of the service manual. The dot falls under the 15K mile column.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The European spec. sheet indicates 155HP (114 kW) or 160HP (117.6 kW) with RAM air @ 8800 RPM and 136 Newton meter (100.3 lb-ft) torque at 6200 RPM. The US spec. sheet doesn't contain HP figures and lists 102.0 lb-ft torque. While there is a 1.7 lb-ft difference in the torque section, it doesn't seem to support the valve adjustment interval being cut from 26K to 15K.
My only guess is that the fuel might make the difference and the manufacturer wants to play it safe, but it is only a speculation.
It would be great if someone could provide an educated explanation on this topic.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'm in Ireland and just had my valves done for the first time a 30k km's. The dealer said they were still well within tolerances, so I'm going to wait till 70k km's before getting them done again

·
Registered
5 Posts
I suspect that it is a difference in the automotive fuels used in North America vs Europe or other parts of the world. I am pretty sure that in the US and Canada fuel retailers are allowed to inlcude up to 10% ethanol (by vol) in the fuel before they are required to specifically label the product as such. If you look at the gas pump it will actually have a sticker that reads "may contain up to 10% ethanol". I also heard that there is discussion about , in Government circles, to increase this to 15%. I was told by my shop that ethanol is harder on the engines and this may explain the discrepency between the valve interval on US & Canada C14's.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm at 15k + miles on my 2011 US c-14. Thinking about going to 20k before I do the valve inspection. As valves tighten I would think fuel mileage would go down, I'm at 48 to 51 mpg now. I use my bike as a commuter 80 miles a day, so riding is consistent for the most part. If the mileage drops I think this would be a good indicator.

Any thought?

·
Premium Member
13,188 Posts
I think by the time the fuel mileage begins dropping, you may have already done some damage. Normally valves, especially exhaust valves lose clearance over time due to the unlubricated hammering of the valve head against it's seat. There would be no performance loss as the clearance diminished, and maybe even a slight gain due to increased valve lift, at least until zero clearance goes negative and the valve begins not fully seating or sealing. Also, as clearance diminishes, the valve spends less time in contact with the seat, so the cooling effect of contact diminishes also..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts