Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was watching a youtube video of a guy explaining some things about riding a motorcycle and he said that once out of 1st gear you can upshift without using the clutch and it wouldn't harm the bike and it was actually better for it. He reiterrated that when downshifting you need to do it which is obvious, ive done this on an atv but not on a bike... anyone know if there is any validity to being able to upshift after 1st gear with no clutch?

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Of course you can. As for it not harming the bike, that is entirely debatable.

If you are trying to save money on clutches, be aware that a new transmission costs more than a clutch and takes a lot more work.

If you don't do it right, you most certainly will harm the transmission. Just use the damn clutch.

·
Registered
18 Posts
not using the clutch on the way up the gears is completely fine and does not damage the bike if done correctly. its all about matching you revs ready for the next gear but on the up is a massive problem as you cant over-rev and to go up. you can go down the gears without the clutch as well but i do ot advise it! it takes alot of experience to get this right as matching the revs is vital and very difficult to gage. i do change down without the clutch as times but then i have had practise and abuse gear boxes learning this. you can also completely lock the rear wheel up if your revs are tooo high on the down shift and end up in a big balls of petrol ignited tears sliding down the road at X/Mph.

long and short, change up without clutch; go for it but changing down........carry spare pants with you! ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts