• yes

Votes: 64 76.2%
  • no

Votes: 20 23.8%
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
That all depends on how lazy I am! Occassionally if I'm coasting down the highway and resting my left arm across the tank, it's just less work to speed shift up. :rotflmao

Generally as a rule, I always use mine... but then again... I don't run track either...so that might make a difference.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm still new to riding, So just out of curiosity, if you don't use the clutch will it eventually cause problems?

·
Registered
683 Posts
I barely use the clutch. I use it when I leave a stop in first gear and when I'm loafing down the road at low revs I might use it. I would say I do 90% of my upshifts clutchless. Remember that a bike trans is a constant mesh trans. The teeth of the gears are always engaged. All you have to do is take the load off them by "blipping" the throttle and it will shift as smoothly as if you pulled the clutch. Pulling the clutch doesn't do anything different. As long as you make a strong shift you shouldn't have any problems. Sometimes you might be trying to shift fast and not pull the lever (foot lever) as hard as you should. This can cause the trans to pop out of gear. If you ever had a bike trans apart, the gears are driven on the sides by square 'drive dogs'. The two (well 6 or 8 actually) square dogs lock together to drive the gear. If they start getting the edges rounded off they will start popping out of gear. What I'm getting at is pull strongly on that lever, you don't want to develop a problem with the trans coming out of gear. Back 25 years ago my dad was a bike racer. Back then they didn't have a lot of the racing accesories like they do today. A big thing was that they didn't have air shifters. What they would do is start pulling up on the foot lever while they were still wide open throttle. Then as soon as they would "blip" the throttle the trans would quickly jump to the next gear. This kind of thing is pretty rough on the trans. He would burn up and bend shift forks doing this. Anyway, don't be afraid to shift clutchless. As long as you can coordinate your throttle hand and shifting foot together and give a good solid pull on that lever, your trans will be fine.
Next question: What about clutchless downshifts?
When I wanna race a friend or pull out on them fast, I'll 'blip' the throttle, jam it DOWN a gear, and hit it wide open. Its a good way to pull away from a friend and its also a good way to get a good view of the sky! When I'm out with my friends we all do clutchless upshifts but they think I'm crazy when I do clutchless downshifts. Is it any different? I don't think so.
T

·
Registered
6 Posts
I always use the clutch to upshift.

Now here is a question for everyone.

How many of you match the Engine Rpm's to downshift?

I don't, I just ease out the clutch with each downshift, on my old 02 Gsxr 750 that took some practice, but on my new 07 ZX6R its easy with the slipper clutch.

·
Registered
604 Posts
You might as well take .5 seconds and pull in the clutch, at least your saving yourself an extra $500-$1000 on trany repair...

·
Registered
532 Posts
I know WhoKilledKenny is going to disagree with me here, but I would like to see a guy take the ZX10R to 14000RPM and snap it into 2nd gear!!!!! He's going to look back to where he came from for sure!!!!! Probably if you know your bike very well and know precisely how much to close the throttle to do that, it is okay, but for any inexperienced guy, please use the clutch gently on that beast!!!!!!

I always use the clutch for up- and downshifts, I don't think you really get that much of an advantage on the street not using the clutch. Just practise those left hand fingers a little!!!

·
Registered
498 Posts
I know WhoKilledKenny is going to disagree with me here, but I would like to see a guy take the ZX10R to 14000RPM and snap it into 2nd gear!!!!! He's going to look back to where he came from for sure!!!!! Probably if you know your bike very well and know precisely how much to close the throttle to do that, it is okay, but for any inexperienced guy, please use the clutch gently on that beast!!!!!!

I always use the clutch for up- and downshifts, I don't think you really get that much of an advantage on the street not using the clutch. Just practise those left hand fingers a little!!!

+1

·
Premium Member
4,424 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
More on this subject,
I hardly ever use my clutch to upshift. Kawi T seems to know alot about this subject and I completely agree with him. There is an article in one of the motorcycle magazines I have that test the theory that you are destroying your trans by not using the clutch and they prove it wrong. Let me dig around in the bathroom at work for it and Ill copy for you guys.

·
Premium Member
4,424 Posts
then again all GP riders use the clutch...... spoze I should to

·
Registered
379 Posts

Hey Dup, the nice thing about the quick shifter kit is that you dont have to worry about that dropping yourself off thing because it engages the clutch for you and releases it for you. There is nothing better than hearing that 1000cc scream in top revs and then you just hear that your in a different gear and your still getting faster and faster because you dont drop RPM or speed with the quick shifter, man its magic. i love that thing.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hey Dup, the nice thing about the quick shifter kit is that you dont have to worry about that dropping yourself off thing because it engages the clutch for you and releases it for you. There is nothing better than hearing that 1000cc scream in top revs and then you just hear that your in a different gear and your still getting faster and faster because you dont drop RPM or speed with the quick shifter, man its magic. i love that thing.

i may be wrong here but i do not belive with a quick shifter kit that the clutch is ever engaged. when the botton is hit it kills the ignition which takes the load of the tranny and at the same time shifts for you.

·
Registered
683 Posts
ZX10ninja is correct. The quick shift never engages or disengages the clutch. Its only an ignition interupt. This unloads the tranny the same as if you had pulled the clutch.
T

1 - 20 of 38 Posts