Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone venture out and think about updating your ZX11?

I was thinking :
1. Updated fairing/plastic - Maybe graft some ZX10
2. Updated swing arm (Maybe single-sided) or something a bit "beefier" ?
3. modern forks?
4. Modern dual lights

I have a friend that is into ZX11... probably has one of the best if not THE best ZX11 collections. He has told me all the stuff I need to do to the engine dealing with insufficient oil getting to the head, transmissions problems etc.
I completely trust his expertise. I dropped the engine myself (pretty straight-forward) and I am getting the engine and solid. However, I am more of a cosmetic guy. Would love a bit more modern look with the killer ZX power.
Anyone doing these kind of mods?
Or is this a bit "sacrilege" to do this to a ZX and generally folks just leave them stock
Thoughts?

Todd

·
Registered
930 Posts
It's the opposite to much oil to the head ,not enough to the rod bearings #3 specifically .

·
Registered
360 Posts
You have to invest a lot of money and, first of all, have good taste to do all the mods you've said to end with a bike that is not a monster. For me, it's better to leave it as it is, and only do mods that improves the handling, and maybe the engine.

ps.: and about the oil, it's like quisp said

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wasn't sure if I had the oil thing backwards.... like I said I am lucky that I have a friend who is having the work done for me!!!
I would really like to upgrade the suspension.... I mean the bike is 25+ years and is PLENTY powerful.. the suspensions is pretty dated.... Would love to put a more modern swingarm, forks, tail etc.
but you are right.... I don't want to end up with some sort of monster.
I have the original plastic ... so that is a plus... Think I am going to go out and find some more plastic out there ... see what I can do....
A built ZX11C motor with modern forks, ZX10 dual lights...CBR1000RR swingarm ... that would be bad.... stay tuned !

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So probably a rookie question but I see people talk about putting ZZR1200 forks on a ZX11..... OK .. I'll bite.... WHY ???
The bike is 20+ years old, it is a sport tourer.... SO ... aren't the shocks... made for .... touring? Why not shocks from a ZX10? or something like that ?

I want to set my bike up for occasional aggressive riding with comfort-ability. In Nebraska we can't ride the entire year. However, during the summer ... long rides through farm country is actually pretty cool. I ride with a lot of sport guys. I know I am not going to make this a knee dragger... but anyone out there setting their bike up for more aggressive riding ?
Thanks
Todd

·
Registered
34 Posts
Anyone venture out and think about updating your ZX11?

I was thinking :
1. Updated fairing/plastic - Maybe graft some ZX10
2. Updated swing arm (Maybe single-sided) or something a bit "beefier" ?
3. modern forks?
4. Modern dual lights

I have a friend that is into ZX11... probably has one of the best if not THE best ZX11 collections. He has told me all the stuff I need to do to the engine dealing with insufficient oil getting to the head, transmissions problems etc.
I completely trust his expertise. I dropped the engine myself (pretty straight-forward) and I am getting the engine and solid. However, I am more of a cosmetic guy. Would love a bit more modern look with the killer ZX power.
Anyone doing these kind of mods?
Or is this a bit "sacrilege" to do this to a ZX and generally folks just leave them stock
Thoughts?

Todd
I have a 1991. If the fairings are in good shape I would preserve it the way it is. I would only modify it if it was in sorry shape cosmetically. Anyone can have a modern bike with modern looks. You have something different. I personally prefer the classic 80-90s sport bikes. They have a certain nostalgic about them. It only really matters that I like it, but it gets more attention than any other bike when I go ride with the modern sport bikes. If I see an r1 on the road o wouldn't look twice, but when I see a classic like mine I'm like "wow!"

·
Registered
930 Posts
So probably a rookie question but I see people talk about putting ZZR1200 forks on a ZX11..... OK .. I'll bite.... WHY ???
The bike is 20+ years old, it is a sport tourer.... SO ... aren't the shocks... made for .... touring? Why not shocks from a ZX10? or something like that ?

I want to set my bike up for occasional aggressive riding with comfort-ability. In Nebraska we can't ride the entire year. However, during the summer ... long rides through farm country is actually pretty cool. I ride with a lot of sport guys. I know I am not going to make this a knee dragger... but anyone out there setting their bike up for more aggressive riding ?
Thanks
Todd
Racetech site has the upgrades on there site. Hyperpro makes a good rear shock . Don't know of any other Kawasaki models that swap , plus OEM shocks of that era are crap and modern ZX10 is much lighter bike with valving and springs to match that .

·
Registered
221 Posts
Swapping in ZZR1200 forks and shock is a cheap and relatively easy way to improve the rock-hard feel of the stock units. It's not the BEST way, but it gives the best bang for the buck. I know because I've done it (look up my posts) and for me it's adequate...for now.

The bike is already set up for "aggressive riding with comfort-ability", which is why it is a Sport Tourer, at least as far as the seat and ergonomics go. The rest is in suspension and tires.

As for "keeping up with" other riders, just remember- Marc Marquez (or whoever your fave is) riding a cruiser could probably stay ahead of most riders on the latest sport bikes. In other words, bring your bike to a reasonable mechanical condition, then get really good with it.

Like Henny Youngman said when asked how to get to Carnegie Hall, "practice, practice, practice". (Anybody get that one? Anybody? Bueller?)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts