Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm buying a 2000 zx12, i went to see it today and my only concern is that idle goes from 500 rpm's to 2000 back and forth all the time, if you use the choke the bike will stay on the right rpm's no problem, The bike has a full muzzy titanium exhaust and a power commander. Any ideas on what it could be this is the only thing keeping me from buying it. Other than that the bike runs strong.
Thanks

·
Registered
990 Posts
Could be a faulty sensor or corroded connection to one of them. Most likely need diagnostic equipment to locate problem. Fuel injection is tricky as it relies on the sensors. I had an air flow sensor go on a FI'ed car & it gave similar symptoms.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Its the Muzzy. Lots of threads about this symptom on the web. There are some "cures", which some guys say work and others say have no effect. Dump the Muzzy and use the oem system is the only cure I know of. I had a Muzzy and it bootstrapped bad. I switched to a Yosh RS3 Duplex and it improved about 50%. I have a pc3r and have not found a setting on it that helps much with the idle. The choke is nothing more than a device that holds the throttle open a bit, it does NOT alter the fuel mixture. You can turn in the idle speed adjuster screw a bit and accomplish the same thing. Good luck.

·
Registered
66 Posts
a fellow rider gave me a tip that helped with the jumpy idle condition. my muzzy provided absolutly no backpressure, so here's the cure. in the space where the header joins the next piece o' pipe , drill a hole big enough to stick a 7/16 bolt thru. this disrupts exhaust flow giving some back pressure. it dont look pretty, but its an easy fix versus $1000 for another exhaust.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had my '95 ZX11 tuned up earlier this summer and it will sometimes float all the way up to 3000 rpm on idle before settling back to normal. And this bike is carbureted with the original exhaust.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey I have a 2000zx12r and it does the same thing when it's cold and low on fuel. Warmed up and gassed up it stops. I'm runnin k&n filters and an ART pipe.

·
Banned
320 Posts
If you guys are having a "searching idle" condition on your bikes I would be looking for air leaks at or around the throttle bodies.

If you have an after market high flow exhaust installed, it will only amplify the condition. A PC will allow you to tune out some of the instability, but any air leaks really need to be addressed first and foremost.

To check for an air leak, start the bike and spray some non-chlorinated brake cleaner at the base of the intake manifold boots and where the throttle bodies seat into the boots. If the idle jumps momentarily and hangs for a couple seconds, there is an air leaks present.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts