Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all. I feel as if I know you because I have been lurking for quite a while.

I have a deposit on a 2008 Concours ABS due to arrive at the dealer in less than two weeks. I have been reading and researching every piece of information I can get my hands on about this bike.

I have one major concern that is giving me butterflies in my gut when I think of spending all of this $$$$$ on this machine:

In more than one magazine review, the Connie was said to be top heavy to the point of instability at low speeds. One magazine writer even took a tumble at a press demo, and he had been riding and writing about bikes for 25 years!

On YouTube, I searched info about the bike, and there is incredible footage of a French moto journalist taking a pretty bad header on the Concours.

A good rider should be able to ride a bike at very slow speeds, and navigate close quarters courses. Does something about this new motorcycle prevent this?

I know the seat height is high. I struggle a little with this issue. I sat on a non ABS model at the dealer, and was on "tippy" toes, but nothing too radical.

Please give me your insight and experiences.

jcc11 (Chris)

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm no motocrosser by any stretch of the imagination, and yes the bike is a little top heavy (thats what makes it good in the bends) but I personally have no problems with low speed manouvering, in fact I quite often sit for a few seconds at lights etc without even needing to move feet down, as with all bikes, be gentle with the throttle, brake and clutch at low speed and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
53 Posts
No the bike is not top heavy., and being top heavy would make the bike do poorly in turns, which is contrary to the way the bike behaves. The frame concentrates the weight down low, and as soon as you are moving, even very slowly, it is very easy to ride. The video on YouTube shows first a staged accident, and then shows where the moron rider went off the road in a bend, because he was probably looking at the camera.

I have been riding for 43 years, and this is one of the easier bikes of its weight I have ever ridden. My sig shows some of the newer bikes I have owned recently.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Agreed, I find slow speed handling and manoeuvring easier then my Honda VFR. No problem in traffic queues, filtering etc. The weight distribution is excellent when cornering. You will be hard pressed to find a better package.
Just get it and ride it...............:crazyloco

·
Registered
98 Posts
Chris, you won't have a problem riding the C-14. I came off a cruiser to the Concours and the Connie is 10X easier to ride and maneuver. Turns on a dime and feels very stable.
Know you'll love it!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Chris, this is the easiest big bike to ride at low speeds (or any speed for that matter) that I have ever ridden. Much easier than my ZX-12R. Go for it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
stability

Having had two Pan European's, two Hayabusa's, Gsx 1400 and several other large bikes this is the most stable bike I have ever had. I am 5"11 but do find that I can't get my feet firmly on the ground but is only really worrying on loose gravel or when trying to manouver the bike backwards. Stability at low speed I find excellent though. I have now problem with the bike and feel at home riding it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My previous bike was a Bandit 600 so I was expecting to have to make a lot of adjustments to be able to ride this bike. Not so. This bike is a dream to handle, especially at low speed. The only time you feel the weight is when trying to back-pedal.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My previous bike was a Bandit 600 so I was expecting to have to make a lot of adjustments to be able to ride this bike. Not so. This bike is a dream to handle, especially at low speed. The only time you feel the weight is when trying to back-pedal.
Welcome JCC11. I have owned 30 motorcycles, 15 of them liter bikes or above. If I were to classify the previous bikes as a meal the C-14 would have to be the dessert. It handles great (neutral steering). However, the slow speed handling will require attention to throttle control (comes with practice and adjusting out any slack from throttle cable stretch). In my opinion this bike is markedly more easy to ride briskly than slow when you first throw a leg over it. You are using clutch, brake and varying degrees of lean angle. This is why a bike rodeo can be challenge for anyone on any bike. But this bike will reward you with moves that will put a smile on your face even going slow. A little patience and you'll be flip floppin' from left to right seamlessly. The GTR also can be ridden slowly without leaning, right on the crest of the tires so, when you get your new one try not to let your slow speed manuevering have too much lean angle until you get the hang of it. Like Jonathan said, things to watch for are back pedaling and having your foot slip on oil or loose rocks. When you slip you immediately sit down on the seat and with no weight on the leg that you were supporting the bike with you can have a tipover. Be aware of the boot ground connection and you'll be okay. Lastly, I have a 32 inch inseam and don't quite flatfoot the bike. If you have shorter legs get lower seat.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the great info and feedback. It puts me at ease quite a bit.

Rocklee, I do have slightly shorter inseam, so I may be looking for that shorter seat when someone makes it available.

I'm looking forward to reading more opinions on this topic.

Chris

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have 30" inseam and I have a pair of boots with higher heels and soles on them, and I still can't flatfoot the bike. I have a Corbin seat on order, and they are making it 1 1/2 " lower and doing a nose job on it (narrowing the nose) and this should get my feet on the ground. But even without that, backing up and uneven ground are the only times that I have to take extra care. Once my feet are up and moving, the bike is a no brainer for me.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi

once you have taken your foot off the ground, it's as easy to handle as if you haven't ever done anything else before.

For those with the short legs:

http://www.bikefarmmv.de/sitemap/zeige_artikel.php?fid=202441

I'm sorry it's written in german but the english site doens't seem to be online yet. But you can get in touch with them by mail i guess.

regards

marc

PS: No, i'm not the owner of that store, in fact i even don't know where or who it is!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Try this english link
http://www.bikefarmmv.de/EN/tail-lowerer/zeige_artikel.php?fid=202441

This kit seems to drop the tail quite a lot. 40mm doesn't look safe to me and would probably seriously effect the handling. But I suppose they must have done their homework tho'. Good price mind. 47 Euros. about US68. Cheaper then a Gel seat but my concern would still be with the handling.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hmmpf

didn't find the english link. :headscratch maybe i was to lazy to seek :nana

marc

1 - 14 of 14 Posts