Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Well 1st off lets get rid of one problem. Yeah that rotor is warped, provided its bolted on straight. If it is replace it. Thats solved. Now if you would concede that the niose I hear form the new video that we are after is more of a rattling sound than a knock as you first described it. Then I would say what I am hearing now is definitely a bearing. And if you also say its louder in higher gears that pinpoints it to the output shaft. So would you say it is more of a rattling that you are after than a knock? Sorry I know thats not what you wanted to hear.

·
Registered
330 Posts
PS it occurred to me that maybe all you really hear is the rear caliper on the rotor. Maybe you should fix it first and ride again.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Check your counter shaft sprocket nut for tightness. They can make a crunching sound when loose. I've had this happen myself and wondered what the noise was and where it was coming from.

Torque the nut to spec. and then try it. Give the chain a little lube too, to rule out the chain itself.

·
Registered
330 Posts
It does not sound that bad to me and I would ride it. If it got worse then I would park it. I really think it might be more of the rotor noise your hearing. If it is a output shaft bearing engine comes out and the cases split. :^( but believe me its not that big of a deal. The most work is getting the engine out. We could walk you through the rest.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
ok so i got a rotor coming in the next few days. and ill see if i can get some garage space to start tearing into the bike. remove the motor and stuff.... ugh. not what i wanted to do mid summer.

·
Registered
142 Posts
This will sound weird to you but sounds to me like a loose timing chain. Humor me. Forget about the tranny in gear clutch in or out (sometimes we get lost and in a box) and pull the bolt out of the timing tensioner, (the 12mm one) take a screw driver and push the tensioner in. Then run it after that. My 06 was getting real noisy for the longest time then one day it backfired on start up and the chain sounded like new. You know the sound that whinny dragging sound and has been fine since.

I don't think its the timing chain because my 11's doing that right now its more of a ticking noise when its loose.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Yes, I can hear! Looks like it comes from the sprocket axle or clutch, some play. But it is not so unhealth. I definitely wouldn't send to tore it down. I would ride (not abuse) like that for a while and see if it gets unhealth.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Is the knock louder when the clutch is under load...ie taking off???

·
Registered
262 Posts
They all make funny noises sooner or later.. Just ride it and enjoy it.. It sounds like the timing chain slap or maybe tranny gears.. Probably won't ever break.. Of course that is easy to say when it isn't MY BIKE LOL... Mine is of course very special and it deserves the best treatment. Just kidding ,, I feel for you.. Hope you can figure it out..

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
4,882 Posts
21 - 33 of 33 Posts