Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new to the site and was hoping to have the question of understanding the powerband answered. I have the 07 ZX-6R, and been reading as much as possible. The Book I read covered riding technique, throttle control, traction management, etc.... But what was not covered in the book was the power band. It jus said that having your bike dynoed would be a great way to uncover the optimal shift points. If anyone could shed some more light on the subject it would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

·
Registered
649 Posts
Is this your first bike??? If so take it easy til you get really comfortable before going for top end...
Power band refers to the point in the RPM's where the power is the strongest. Power really starts to hit around 5-6K and starts pullin greally hard around 8-10K. It is ideal to shift before hitting absolute redline and the rev limiter. It's gonna take some time and practice to get it right when you are going flat out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ENJOY

·
Registered
498 Posts
Is this your first bike??? If so take it easy til you get really comfortable before going for top end...
Power band refers to the point in the RPM's where the power is the strongest. Power really starts to hit around 5-6K and starts pullin greally hard around 8-10K. It is ideal to shift before hitting absolute redline and the rev limiter. It's gonna take some time and practice to get it right when you are going flat out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ENJOY

+1

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response, I had an EX-500 for 2yrs before but never really rode it with much aggression. So with my new bike & some of the guys I've been riding with I wanna take it to that next level.

·
Registered
990 Posts
If you think back to the 500 you'll probably remember that below about 7k revs the engine was fairly docile but pushing it past about 7.5k that there is an extra surge of power upto the redline.

On the 600, as stated the power goes, from docile upto about 6k then an extra surge above that, then really lets rip over about 10k.

If you examine any dyno chart the pickup in power will show up on the curve.

For steady street riding you would be in the docile part of the curve i.e. light throttle/low revs, picking up the pace the 6k to 10k part of the curve (more revs & throttle) & if racing or a total nutter the top part of the curve.

It all comes with experience but the more you understand about how the power is delivered the more you can get out of it as your experience increases. Knowing where the power is at it's best allows you to alter the gearing for maximum use of that power to suit either your riding or any race track, as all track have different combinations of speeds throughout the various curves & straights. Production bikes have gearing set to a good compromise for most conditions but this can always be improved upon if there is a special need, say stunting, drag racing, canyon carving or long distance touring.

HTH

·
Registered
114 Posts
I don't understand the statement "take it to the next level". Forgive me if I step the line, but you are not playing a video game - this is real life. Experience on a motorcycle is a linear thing, and for some it takes years and years to perfect technique. You don't simply jump on a bike and start going faster because it's more powerful.

Have you taken an MSF course? I highly recommend it - even if you have ridden for 2 years. The intermidiate course will allow you to ride your bike and help you develop more techniques. But it's up to you to ride often and practice a lot.

I seriously must say don't worry about what hte heck your friends are doing - you *MUST* ride your own ride.

Congrats on the zx6r - you picked a great bike. Take the time to get used to it - and it will reward you. Take the time to continue to learn about yourself too - I commend you for taking 2 years on the EX500. But your messages reads "my friends peer presured me into a faster bike so I can keep up with them"

Perhaps I read this wrong, but my point is still the same. We'd all like to see you stick around here for some great chat!! Be safe!

·
Registered
990 Posts
mbonadio said:
and for some it takes years and years to perfect technique
All valid points, EXCEPT perfection is never reached, you never ever stop learning & improving your ridng technique, mastering different bikes, roads or tracks, does not matter how much experience you have, there is always something more to learn :headscratch that is why bikes are such a great experience.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Easy there Mbonadio,,,,, R2G2 is stepping up to a much more powerful and aggressive machine and is just wanting to learn about it so he can TAKE IT TO THE NEXT LEVEL, safely. 2 years on the EX500 would leave any of us itching to crack it open on a ZX6R!!!!! At least he has been riding with these guys for some time and it doesn't sound like PEER pressure, sounds like support.

Oh yeah, lets see: TAKE IT TO THE NEXT LEVEL (anyone care to elaborate????)

Hasn't Casey Stoner taken it to the next level??????? I dare you to ask that to Rossi!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHA

·
Registered
264 Posts
Welcome to the site. You have an excellent machine. I am sure you have already found out that this is an all out race bike. The 07 ZX6R will pull hard all the way (and past) its 16,500rpm redline. I am still experimenting myself. I have 2000km or so far and haven't been past 12,500rpm. Trying to get use to how it handles through the twisties, how it breaks etc. So far it seems, the sweet spot is around 8000-9000rpm. One thing I did notice is when accelerating out of a turn the smallest bump may cause headshake. I'm putting a steering damper high on my list of must have items (Scotts to be specific). Lets see some pics of your beast when you get a chance.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Trust me I'm not trying to be harsh - but he mentioned he never got too aggresive with his ex500, and wants to take his zx6r to the next level. No doubt that the zx6r is exiting and powerful. I just want to make the point that coming off a machine you didn't "max" and into a machine that can "max" you can be dangerous if you are doing it for the wrong reasons (in this case - pushing too hard too quick)..

The good thing - is the zx6r is a fine machine that will allow you to grow into it very nicely! Just take it easy that's all. I'd hate to see a fellow zx rider down. That's all.

Easy there Mbonadio,,,,, R2G2 is stepping up to a much more powerful and aggressive machine and is just wanting to learn about it so he can TAKE IT TO THE NEXT LEVEL, safely. 2 years on the EX500 would leave any of us itching to crack it open on a ZX6R!!!!! At least he has been riding with these guys for some time and it doesn't sound like PEER pressure, sounds like support.

Oh yeah, lets see: TAKE IT TO THE NEXT LEVEL (anyone care to elaborate????)

Hasn't Casey Stoner taken it to the next level??????? I dare you to ask that to Rossi!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHA

·
Registered
990 Posts
Everyone here is looking out for R2G2 in their own way.

The good thing is the guy is asking the right sort of questions & reading up on things that will hold him in good stead with the 6R. Reading is not the same as experience on the bike but any extra knowledge is a good thing IMO. :thumbup

·
Registered
649 Posts
I just want to make the point that coming off a machine you didn't "max" and into a machine that can "max" you can be dangerous if you are doing it for the wrong reasons (in this case - pushing too hard too quick)
+1 on that!!!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
LOL.
Kawasaki 3rd on the grid, "go Randy". Good luck to West too, he will be interesting to watch.

R2G2 congrats on the new bike. Don't be too concerned about the power band, keep your eyes on the road and concerntrate on the bike's feeling, if you change too soon you will notice and if you change too late the engine will cut out. This way your body will remember when the best time to shift is. I find, if I look at the rev counter when riding I lose my rhythm.

Pete.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Don't look, Feeeeeeeeeeel, it's like a finger pointing away to the moon, if you look at the finger you miss all the heavenley glory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :crazyloco

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the advice, and the answer to my question. No offense taken, am trying to understand concept behind the application.

·
Registered
517 Posts
2.5 year thread revival? win? lol

·
11,782 Posts
Thanks for all the advice, and the answer to my question. No offense taken, am trying to understand concept behind the application.
You'll know the power band when your butt starts sliding to the back of the seat shortly followed by an uncontrollable grin reaching from ear to ear.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts