Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if I've intoduced myself since I've signed up so here goes,I'm from Cape Town South Africa and a few months ago my son bought a ZX9 for a good price and we've been fixing her up,we found the back brakes where not up to spec,well you could stand on the pedal and maybe slow down.Last nite I stripped the pads out the back and found the metal of the back plate was COPPER and the pads themselves where a cast BRASS or BRONZE of some kind,can anyone say they've seen something like this because I never have,they even have numbers on them,,the last two digits are in series,,09 and 10,,interesting to say the least,for me anyway.This is the link to my website,hope it works,I can't seem to resize my pics to fit here: http://sites.google.com/site/oldmanprofsworkshop/brakie-pads

·
Premium Member
13,206 Posts
Pads should be readily available. I think what you're seeing is copper plasma spray over steel (a common technique to prevent rust and make for good heat transfer) and brass backing plates (normally stainless anymore).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Hammerhead,I don't have a problem getting pads,it's just that I've never seen this,under closer inspection today at work I found the backing to be copper plated and the pad to be a solid brass casting,Ive been working with different types of metal for 30yrs as a welder and it is a brass casting on a copper plated backing plate and unless the brake rotor is supposed to be a different type of metal,I have no idea why that is so,but brass it is,I even tried grinding a corner to see if it was sprayed over the pad,but no,brass all the way through

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts
It's probably more like a sintered bronze friction material . It's also probably an ebc hh pad or its equivalent.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's probably more like a sintered bronze friction material . It's also probably an ebc hh pad or its equivalent.
Just about to put that on,my son just brought the new set of pad in and hey I just learned somthing thanks guys,I really got to keep up here,going to check the master cylinder tomorrow,somethings not working correctly unless they like that so can't lock the back wheel ???

·
Premium Member
13,206 Posts
Some sportbike rear brakes don't have the leverage to lock the wheel in motion. Not much you can do but fit a soft compound pad or change out the master cylinder for one of a smaller inside diameter. I loved the rear brake on my late, lamented ZZR 1200, but the rear brake on my current ZX-14 is numb to the point of uselessness.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
If you have the new pads on the rear wont lock until they're (mostly) bedded to the rotors. Took me 2 days of city riding/braking to get the wheel to finally lock. Even then it took more riding to get good stopping power but the initial bite was evident right after install. EBC says give their brakes 250 mi to bed and longer if its new rotors with new pads.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Motorcycle.com App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts