Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

Ultimate Shootout

3K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  TMP 
#1 ·
Hey fellas-- Just got my newest issue of "Motorcyclist" and I'm a lil upset..:banghead The shootout is the 07 bike's Ducati 1080 vs. Honda CBR600RR vs. Yamaha R1 vs. Suzuki GSX-R1000 vs. Kawi ZX-6R. I'm a lil upset that its not an all 600 shootout, but i guess you gotta be pretty bada** to be placed in a shootout with 1000cc bikes. Anyway it makes the CBR out to be the ultimate bike beside the Suzuki; with the 1080 somewhere in the middle and the ZX6 and R1 rounding up the rear. They say that they went for overall riding. What they said about the ZX6 was that its chassis was SUPERB and "track ready" but kept talking about how the engine power "just wasn't enough" (especially in the midrange) and how the extra 36cc's would have made it a "dream" and how it was bit of a chore keeping up with the other bikes. On their track portion they got a 1:59 on the R1, 2:03 on the CBR6 AND GSX1 and a 2:05 on the ZX6. They did say however that despite their results and it bringing up the rear in the shootout that it really isn't fair b/c of how great of a bike it is. I mean it IS an honor within itself to be placed in a category against the best bikes including 1kcc's..but... What do you guys think about them saying repeatedly how the CBR is clearly the bike of the year??:headscratch

#2 ·
So what, it's the better bike. Just accept it and lose some pregidous. Everyone has there preference and that's alright, but to go around spouting how the green one must be best just cause you like Kawasaki, that ridiculous. I like green too, but I wouldn't mind having a new CBR in my drive.

#4 ·
O yeah, in regards to the mixing of literbike and 600, I think they did it cause' they just use the new ones now (unlike past issues) which sucks. I totally agree that they should have comparo's between the seperate classes. Seriously, why is a 9-10k green machine battling it out with a 16-17k liter-plus bike?!

They need to keep it simple...

Comparo 1: 600cc machines (Supersport)

Comparo 2: 1000cc bikes (Liter-class)

Comparo 3: 1000cc+ bikes (Hypersport)

Although there should be some exceptions such as the 675 and now defunct 636. The Ducati... well... I guess it should be allowed to compete with the other literbikes seeing as twins have inherit weakness (and strengths)...

Maybe a better comparo would be price categories...

But that's not a perfect way to do it either...

Damn. Anyone else got ideas. Maybe just whatever segment a bike is targeted for...

#6 ·
The CBR was the most dramaticly changed and most anticipated bike. They are so very happy with it because for the first time in god knows how long, the CBR isn't the heaviest and slowest. Does that mean that I could have ridden the CBR that fast on a track? Shit no. I like my kaw. Hell, I love both my kaws, and wouldn't trade them for a CBR or Gixxer or anything but another kaw. Are they the best? No. Are they just right for me? Oh dear god yes.

#17 ·
...Hell, I love both my kaws, and wouldn't trade them for a CBR or Gixxer or anything but another kaw. Are they the best? No. Are they just right for me? Oh dear god yes.
nowa days... i think it all boils down to prefrence... your average rider wont get the little diffrences between the bikes... i want all of them... not just the kawi's ;)
EXACTLY!:mfclap End quote...

#7 ·
That article should should have focused on introducing the new bikes of '07 - and not pitting them against each other. But, then what would the article have to say!! Bottom line, a liter bike is gonna go faster, and heck the ever so slightly lighter Honda might too, but they had some nice things to say about the zx6r handing too!! For the regular guy (and the below average guy like me) any of these bikes will be used well below their potential - so like others have said - it's all preference!

#13 · (Edited)
I hope I never try to ride my bike on the street hard enough to care to find out the difference. I should only hope I ever gain enough experience and skill to tell the difference on the track too.... I think I'll go back to why I bought the bike in the first place - riding it - and stay out of these "magazine spec quoting debates" for a while... Later!

#14 ·
yeah its funny cause i've read the same stuff you guys just said. The interesting thing is if you read all the magazine's first rides for the zx6r and cbr600rr the original opinions were CBR is more practical street wise and zx6r was made for the track and now these same magazines are saying the cbr is better on both street and track. Maybe im biased because i have a zx6r but that just seems a little odd to me. NOt to mention the 6r took first and second at daytona. Again though, for most of us we will never out ride any of these bikes and they really are very closely matched. Another interesting point was in one of the mags sport rider or motor cyclist right in the beginning they say that during the testing Honda went all out in tuning the bikes while other companies not as much. Sorry for the long post...Im still happy with my zx6r and am glad i went with that instead of the cbr.

#18 ·
Yeah-- Honda shot for the sky on this year's model. But still at the end of the day the zx-6r gotta be pretty bada** to be placed in that kinda category. What I'd like to know though is--are there any 636 riders who purchased the 07'? I'd like to know the riding differences between the 2.

#19 ·
The CBR is faster, so what. It's also costs a little more. Do the butterfly mod and take the $500 difference in price and throw on a new pipe. One of the more appealing "traits" about the zx is that fewer people have them. I kinda like riding the bike others aren't riding even if it means .2 slower in the quarter.

Enjoy your ride, there's always something faster out there.

#22 ·
OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH THE HATERS?
None of them could beat any of the top AMA or FIM racers so they should STFU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thefinger :thefinger :thefinger
.2 seconds doesn't mean sh@t on the street.... there's something to be said for riding ablility versus straight up power! Take it to the track!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:nana

#23 ·
Screw all the haterz, i know my zx6r is wicked! Take a good look at the new cbr, old turn signals, no projection beam headlights, no slipper clutch, cheap looking gauges, hard ass seat, etc. Be proud of your new ninja, it`s quality is spot on ! xxx

#24 ·
Can't complain really-- one of the reasons I want an 07' SO BAD is because no one else has one.... Its mainly gsx's, busa's, and a few cbrs. RARE BABY!

#25 ·
Same here, I think I have had more people coming over to check my Orange ZX6R at the breakfast run than any Honda guy can hope for!! Maybe because there aren't many around and it is new, but nice all the same!

Regarding the shootout, if you look at the lap times stated, really, what is the difference!!!! Beside the R1's time, the ZX6R stay with all the rest including the 1000's!! Amazing! I am seriously happy with mine thank you!

#26 ·
Yeah-- Honda shot for the sky on this year's model. But still at the end of the day the zx-6r gotta be pretty bada** to be placed in that kinda category. What I'd like to know though is--are there any 636 riders who purchased the 07'? I'd like to know the riding differences between the 2.

i had the 04 636. and traded it in for the 07. IMO the 636 has a bit more pull not much but the 07 handles like a dream. and is way sexyer....:thefinger

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.