Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, what a way to screw the day ! I fired up my 11 and went the end of the street, and it died..odd...fired right back up and drove 2 more blocks and it sounded like it was loading up a cylinder or two, turned around to head back, went 1 more block and it wouldn't run w/o 1/2 throttle and was chunging along with LOTS of blue smoke behind...! finally died, all this in 6 blks and it's always been flawless...pulled tank and air filter cover and low and behold it had been fairly full of oil ! all intakes had oil residue on them and the drain for the airbox was full...got it to fire and it ran but was burning away(?) that oil and after a minute here came the oil back up thru the oil breather tube...all while the motor sounded perfect !! water level wasn't checked before this but now shows a little below "low"..and my oil gauge shows full, whick it wasn't when I changed it..was near top, but not full....sure glad I wasn't on a rural country drive ! it's always run perfect so quite the RUDE surprise ! the only good out of it was the smoke cloud from 4 carbs drinking oil cleared out the mosquitos...any great news for me guys ? thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, hope it doesn't happen to you all, cause w/ this much discussion you'll be chit outa info too! :banghead turns out the crankcase has gas in it, drained and refilled, runs great..but somehow someway the gas is/was entering the crankcase...checking the carbs while running there is no obvious extra gas going thru, runs/idles great..so now I get to wonder how , by riding 5 times after changing the oil previously, less than 200 miles, did the crank end up w/ probably 1/3 gallon extra gas...with a 12,000 mile '94 zx11d in mint condition. one that I'd never thought twice about problem wise .Stuck needle?? ran great...back pressure from the fuel pump seeping into the cylinder after shutoff ? none was observed when checked this morning...fuel pump allowing gas by from just sitting and seeping past the needle seats ? doesn't seem right...anybody think of another way gas can get to crank ? hope it doesn't "magically" happen to you too ! kinda stumped here, but it rides again ! :rolleyes gonna watch the oil sight to see if it changes again...

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Sorry but I can't help. Those problems can have a lot of causes and leave me as puzzled as you are.

Someday, you will have to think I know everything about ZX-11; my experiences do not cover each and every aspect of this bike...:smile

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a similar experience but no gas in the crack case. One of my pistions had a piece break off just above the rings and this was causing my crank case to become pressurized thus blowing oil out my breather tube. When the bike was running with the breather tube disconnected from the airbox you could feel and excessive amount of pressure blowing out of the tube and while riding it would blow oil...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts