Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got the electrics all sorted out. Replaced the rear caliper, rebuilt the rear master cylinder, bleed the brakes and clutch, new pads all around. Snagged the decent fairings and tank from craig's list, new mirrors, signals, fender delete. Installed the aftermarket fuel pump, ran all the fuel lines, heat wrapped all fuel lines. cleaned and adjusted carbs....
added fuel and tried to get her running. cranks fine, tried to start, but no go. got fuel, spark and air. check the oil, CHOCOLATE MILK!!!!!!!!!!!!
So much for getting her running this season. guess I gotta drop the engine and get busy rebuilding or break down and buy a reman unit.

question: how hard is it to drop a zx9 engine in this bike? and what years are recommended for such a swap?

I have a 94 ZX7 L series

·
Premium Member
6,582 Posts
So I got the electrics all sorted out. Replaced the rear caliper, rebuilt the rear master cylinder, bleed the brakes and clutch, new pads all around. Snagged the decent fairings and tank from craig's list, new mirrors, signals, fender delete. Installed the aftermarket fuel pump, ran all the fuel lines, heat wrapped all fuel lines. cleaned and adjusted carbs....
added fuel and tried to get her running. cranks fine, tried to start, but no go. got fuel, spark and air. check the oil, CHOCOLATE MILK!!!!!!!!!!!!
So much for getting her running this season. guess I gotta drop the engine and get busy rebuilding or break down and buy a reman unit.

question: how hard is it to drop a zx9 engine in this bike? and what years are recommended for such a swap?

I have a 94 ZX7 L series
94-97 ZX9R (B Model) bolts right in. Use the ZX9R ignition box to avoid over revving the 9R. It has single valve springs and can't be revved like the ZX7's and 7R's with dual valve springs.

Go here:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/webzxr/zxr750r/

Click on "tech tips" on the left sidebar. Scroll down until you find

"Conversion Guide for '91 to '95 ZXR750/9R"

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks 2f2f. still debating on the 9rswap or total rebuild with heavy internal mods. kinda leaning towards the later. figure i can liven the lil engine up with a good balance and port and polish job.
we'll see what the off season brings.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts