Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
upgraded the regular turn signals to l.e.d. and either direction stays all 4 lights on. the brake light is constantly on like im always on the brake :scared. thought about the fast flasher relay fix but they just stay solid. please help! im not the greatest electrician. searched but didnt find anything that fit like this. brake lights are the regular bulbs.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
You might need to swap to a regular flasher. I use a thermal 552 with my regular rear lights and LED fronts.

The flasher shouldn't have anything to do with the brake light. Not sure about that one...

Josh

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
If you have an integrated tail light then if the flasher circuit does not have a high enough load the brake and tail behaves funny. If its stock, then something is wired incorrectly for the brake light to be stuck on.

You didn't happen to splice into any wires to do this did you? Most of these things plug right into the stock connections.

If your circuit does not have enough of a load on it, they will flash super fast. If the load is low enough, they may just stay on steady.

Why all four are on is beyond me. Is this only when you hit the switch, or are they always on no matter what?

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Yeah I had to install integrated mirrors, leds fronts, and led rears just to get them to flash. The left works ok but still slow and the right is like one flash per second. I need to change my flasher I know that.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Slow means you have too much of a load in there... When the load is too low (like with LEDs) they flash faster.

You have something else wrong lol

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no "odd" splicing in the wiring harness for the lights squidge. only thing i can think of as crossing is the rear brake light harness clip but i didnt force any weird shaped harness against its will. gonna start from square one and replace with the stock that i know worked before and see what pops up. the tail light with regular bulbs is plugged right into the harness. the rear turns, i have to electrical tape them in but i dont think my problem lays there.
i have an led tailight from a 96-03 christikitty but i dont think i could change that inside of my 94 light. is there red led's that will fit my stock sockets i can add to help this problem? in other words im getting the instance that i should change all my blinkers and road indicators to led to help even out the flow...???
but like i said im gonna take a few steps back on the lights and see what i can find.
thx everyone for the input.

can u explain that thermal 552 please bullitt?? headscratcher for me right there.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
The stock Kawasaki flasher unit is a POS. I went thru a couple in short orders years ago, and on a whim threw in a flasher unit from my truck. Flasher 552, which only has 2 prongs, and exactly like the 93-95 unit.

Works like a champ.

This link gets posted a lot and it explains it pretty well...

http://www.bugmanweb.com/gsxr/flasher.html

Bascially it goes:

If you get too fast or solid try the thermal flasher for a couple bucks. If that doesn't work, try the electrical flasher for $12 or so.

If the electronic unit still doesn't work you'll need to add the resistors.

Josh

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok so the brake light staying on was different. in fact i remembered taking it apart and in short, adjusted the rear brake sensor too tight. constant brake light is not a problem any more. i will be changing out my flasher relay tonight or tomorrow.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

thats what i tightened too much for the rear brake.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Any auto parts store will have it...

Josh

·
Registered
214 Posts
before you buy anything try taking the little bulb out of the spedo display thats how i fixed mine... not sure if anyone suggested this before

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
before you buy anything try taking the little bulb out of the spedo display thats how i fixed mine... not sure if anyone suggested this before
That isn't a fix, that's just putting a bucket under a leaky faucet.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
262 didnt work either. even with that plugged in it starts to flash but left switch and all 4 come on. right switch and all 4 come on... but they slightly blink. the turns arent nearly as bright with the new relay tho. why are all 4 going and not one side?? :headscratch

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Are these the bulbs that install just like the standard bulbs or did you have to hardwire them in?

Sounds like a ground issue to me.

Josh

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
if all four come on and flash together it means you have a short from one side to the other.

In the dash there is supposed to be some diodes that allow the single bulb to flash on both sides without shorting them together. If those are fucked up, it might just lthe current bleed through.

Although usually its something else.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

thats the ebay pic of them. so if i understand u right, yes i did hard wire them in bullitt. all 4 are the same. pretty sure i have them all grounded to the right wire. im interested to see if the bulb on the dash would even work in this case but im up for anything cause im drawing a blank.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Same ones I used, with no problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well thats good to know that u have the same with no problems. i have a dash im going to replace with to see if that makes a difference. otherwise im gonna have to use my arm signals or replace back to regular bulbs. but if i do that i cant hook in the led lights on the flush undertail. if my cluster replacement doesnt help, i feel like this is going to be a long overdrawn problem.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
I highly doubt its a problem with the bulbs.

But, if you changed all four to those things, you WILL need to compensate. And if you want to get technical, LEDs have a much HIGHER resistance, with a lower load. The idea behind putting in resistors is to provide a load in line BEFORE the LEDs, which would then affect the flasher, leaving the LEDs free to draw whatever current they need.

Granted, that is a much simplified explanation of how it works.

As you can see here, LEDs provide essentially zero resistance right up until their turn on voltage where they spike dramatically. The purpose of a resistor in parallel with the LEDs is actually to lower the resistance that the flasher unit sees.

Kind of.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts