Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i rode my bike to my parents and my dad noticed the gauge lights stay lit. I turned the key on and the tail turned on and i started the bike, turned the key to off and the bike still ran. Then on, hit the kill switch and off. The gauge lights will not turn off but the key switch controls the head and tail lights. I then tried to leave for home and the bike would turn over but not start. Is this the key switch going bad? Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok i looked around the coil and nothing was melted or looked damaged. I checked the fuses and looked at all the wires for damage, but found nothing. The gauges still stay on and the bike turns all day but wont fire up.

·
Registered
46 Posts
there is a resistor in your ignition that most likely went bad. it goes in line on the grey wire which leads to the ci box. the bike will turn all day long but it wont fire without that resistor. you have to replace the ignition or go to your local electronics store and buy a 100ohm 2watt resistor and install it it in line on the grey wire from the ignition.
Ok i looked around the coil and nothing was melted or looked damaged. I checked the fuses and looked at all the wires for damage, but found nothing. The gauges still stay on and the bike turns all day but wont fire up.

·
Registered
573 Posts
There is a possibility the key ignition wire is shorted i guess.. still thihnk it's by the coils..

trace the connection for your alternator and open the connector and see if it's melted or damaged in any way.. had to look at the connector i replaced on my bike.. exact same issue happened to me a couple years back

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
It's possible the solder joints or one of the slider pick-ups inside the switch took a crap and is shorting across a couple terminals.

I had to take mine apart a couple years ago because it was so gunked up inside from the old grease.

Josh

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im gonna order a new ignition switch off ebay. Hopefully thatll work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts