Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well heres the bike i picked up. If engine is toast i am tossing around the idea of a big bore kit or a swap? I seen a kit that brings it to 998cc would that require cylinders from a 98 and newer? Thats what one shop suggested. I might just rebuild the engine to stock displacement and focus on suspension and braking upgrades. What ya peeps think?

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
Congrats! Four replies already. ;)

If what's going on inside the motor is an unknown, I'd hold off ordering any upgrades until I knew what I was up against. By that I mean, I'd drop and disassemble the motor to find out if it's even worth salvaging with upgrades.

If it turns out to be top-end related only, then I'd probably go up one size over, but I'm conservative on engine mods. It makes tuning AFR a lot less cumbersome.

The thing about the B model is that it's at a disadvantage to its younger 9R cousins, particularly on weight. Boosting power could offset that and make it muscle around like a newer bike.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
E1 said it right.
Check the engine out and see where you go from there.
Big bore kits are going to be like $1k when all is said and done.
Looks like it has potential though.
How much did you pick it up for?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I am just tossing around my engine options. I am holding off on buying engine parts till i have it apart. This wouldnt be my first engine build ;)

Any suggestions on a oil pressure gauge? Summit racing is just down the road :)
What would be best a 0-100 or..........

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Well good luck.
I know i've invested alot in my 9 but if i could do it again, it'd be very hard to convince myself to spend it on a 20 year old machine...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well i rebuilt the carbs. She runs great! Needs a little tuning. Has plenty of power! No smoke didnt over heat. Its 90 degrees outside.......time to get some miles on this beast.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I rebuilt the carbs.......and she runs great! I have 20 miles on her now. Starts easy and runs decent. Needs a little tuning slugish till 3k then runs like a raped ape!

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
My 02 does the same thing. Rides thru town, sluggish and wants higher rpm. Hit the highway, try and keep up with me.
Factory Pro CV Carb Tuning Procedure & throttle body synchronization.

Then you won't need higher RPMs to keep the engine running anytime.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I need the synchronizing tool and a valve adjustment and i think i am good for this summer. So far this bike seems reliable.....crazy for a 500$ bike....lol. i am glad i followed my gut instinct. Front forks need rebuilding they are leaking. I have some sea foam cylinder cleaner should i run a bottle through?

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
Sounds like you found a little jewel there Turbo!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Did you ever get the sluggishness worked out? Thats the same problem mine has, cruises ok at low rpms, but hesitates if I get on it until I'm above 3k, then it rips! Beautiful bike by the way, I paid 3x that for mine and yours looks much better!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts