Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's FALL now but I'll post updates here from now throughout the winter.

Stock Wheel polishing under way. Wheels have been stripped of paint. Will finish sanding and try to get that mirror shine by this weekend. Rain and street tires will be used on these rims.

Will take the Marvic rims off over the winter.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A little more sanding today with the 220 grit.

After I get all the kinks and scuffs out I'll move on to 400, then 800, 1000, and finally 1500-2000.

This is harder than I thought. After the wheels are done, I'll throw the bike up on the jack stands and tackle the swingarm.

·
Premium Member
3,530 Posts
A little more sanding today with the 220 grit.

After I get all the kinks and scuffs out I'll move on to 400, then 800, 1000, and finally 1500-2000.

This is harder than I thought. After the wheels are done, I'll throw the bike up on the jack stands and tackle the swingarm.

Starting to look good already, Turbo.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Starting to look good already, Turbo.
Thanks. It's hard to get the spokes smooth by hand. I might have to go back and get some lower grit sandpaper.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
I used a high speed 2" wheel on a die-grinder with a polishing pad, then block them out or hand sand...

Then high speed buff!!

You will see pics of my frame in a few weeks

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gave up on the polishing today and decided to paint the rims.

They've been primed with Etcher Primer. No pics because it started raining so I'll post up tomorrow.

Gonna paint the rims Metallic blue. :smile

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finished the 3rd coat. I will probably put 2 coats of clear over them and then let them sit for a week or so before I mount any tires.

The Valve stem on the front Marvic Rim went byebye so I've got a flat. I'll have these rims on next week the latest.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Clearcoated.

Will wetsand in about 3 days or so and buff them out.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What did you apply the paint with? rattle can or LPHV gun?
I'm the Rattle Can Master! :rotflmao

I have an air gun but I need to buy a new compressor.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think I put about 5 or 6 coats of clear on the rim lips in preparation for all the wheel weights I'll be putting on and scraping off.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I'm the Rattle Can Master! :rotflmao

I have an air gun but I need to buy a new compressor.
I need to start experimenting with paint... I might buy an under tail over the winter and play around with painting that.

I've seen some surprisingly good rattle can jobs. I know the key to a good job is prepping before and after. Do you sand between base and clear or do you just sand the clear?

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I need to start experimenting with paint... I might buy an under tail over the winter and play around with painting that.

I've seen some surprisingly good rattle can jobs. I know the key to a good job is prepping before and after. Do you sand between base and clear or do you just sand the clear?

I wetsanded after the 2nd coat of color. Then put a 3rd and 4th coat of color.

Then about 3-6 coats of clear over it.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Do you do that for wheels only or for your bodywork as well? Seems like alot of paint but what do i know :p
It is a lot of paint but the wheels take tons of abuse by way of tire changes and road debris.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts