Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Mr turbo kit and the turbo isn't spooling up right. I know the internals are moving fine but the Watergate isn't opening up and releasing right. I took off the waste gate and freshly lubed it up and its free moving not stuck. I also checked to make sure there aren't any air leaks. Also my turbo guage isn't working . The bike was working fine before now its not. Also has brand new head and valve cover gaskets and a compression test and it passed. Any ideas???

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Well think about how a turbo works. It uses exhaust gasses to spin an impeller that is connected to a compressor via shaft. Not if the volume of the exhaust is not great enough to spin the impeller then it will not spool and create charged air. Now If the waste gate is stuck open due to not being connected properly to the vacuum source then it will stick open. Make sure that there is nothing forcing the wastegate open when you mount it to manifold.Now I would take the air intake pipe off the turbo, and rev the engine watching to make sure it spools up. Then look into leaks around the charge pipe and intercooler if you have one and make sure the airbox is sealed around the fuel source. i.e. carbs or throttle bodies.

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts
I have a Mr turbo kit and the turbo isn't spooling up right. I know the internals are moving fine but the Wastegate isn't opening up and releasing right. I took off the waste gate and freshly lubed it up and its free moving not stuck. I also checked to make sure there aren't any air leaks. Also my turbo guage isn't working . The bike was working fine before now its not. Also has brand new head and valve cover gaskets and a compression test and it passed. Any ideas???
I assume you're also running a blow off valve. Have you looked at it to make sure it's not stuck open?Since this system was opened up to change the valve cover gasket,are you sure all the connections are connected?

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Yeah good call on the BOV. That would only bypass boost pressure though. Not stop the turbo from spooling. If it's spooling but not building pressure look at either the BOV, and or your charge pipes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have checked the blowoff valve and it is ok. I lubed it up and it is releasing but its not opening all of the way. I just tightened up the throttlebodies and checked to make sure it is sealed. I checked both sides of the turbo and they're both spinning freely when the bike is off and also when it is on.. The pressure guage still isn't working. I can here the turbo spooling but its not pressurizing fully. I'm bout to take it on a test run soon. Any other ideas ?? The closest shop to me for turbos is in NYC a 4 hour drive

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
You've got a boost leak somewhere. If it is spooling up but not creating any power then you have a boost leak somewhere. Either a bad diaphragm in either the wastgate, or the BOV, or the charge pipe. And if you have an inter cooler check it for small holes. In terms of the boost gauge it should be connected to either one of the nipples on the compressor housing or as I ran it on my Neon with an SRT-4 swap, off the manifold somewhere.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm.. I will recheck everything again.. Last test drive it felt like the turbo was working but it was minimal. It was up towards the higher end. thanx for the info I will keep everyone updated. Wish you were closer Cristi I would just come see you!!!

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts
Hmmm.. I will recheck everything again.. Last test drive it felt like the turbo was working but it was minimal. It was up towards the higher end. thanx for the info I will keep everyone updated. Wish you were closer Cristi I would just come see you!!!
When you get a chance let's see some pictures of your turbo set up.I'm working on one myself and would like to see yours.

Here's mine:

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
PICS OR IT oh wait........ Nice charge pipe 2fat2fly

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
my guess, without seeing pics on the setup, is that the waste gate is opening early and bypassing all that nice exhaust heat out the exhaust.

Or there is a vacuum leak on the cold side somewhere.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
my guess, without seeing pics on the setup, is that the waste gate is opening early and bypassing all that nice exhaust heat out the exhaust.
+1

1 - 14 of 14 Posts