Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So has anyone put a turbo on a new 14r yet? I'm curious to what the motor can handle boost wise without engine work. If anyone has any info that would be great.

·
Premium Member
13,206 Posts
Bolting on a Turbo and not completely re-doing the engine internals is very risky. You would need lower-compression pistons, or keep boost dialed down to puny levels, and also a blueprinted and strengthened crank and rods, at a minimum. These motors are manufactured to a much higher stress percentage than motors of old, and large increases in power output, whether by turbocharging, higher compression, larger valves and lifts with longer duration, intake work, or just a plain old shot of nitrous oxide tend to expose the weak spots. Pe.ople are already blowing rods through the cases with normal bolt-on mods, so if you're serious, prepare to drop big bucks to keep it together

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Ricky Gadsen has one...maybe google that and see what he has to say?Ran 7's at the strip...more to come!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I really don't know...but he was riding a turboed 14R when he ran those 7's.Hell...he's probably got several 14's for everyday of the week!

I may be totally wrong here...but I would think if you're gonna throw a turbo on the new 14R....it best have the guts to keep it in one piece...wouldn't want to spend that kind of moola for some mediocre hp gains(meaning...go big or go home).His motor(s) probably have been built somewhat...course...he's the R&D king of the dragstrip...money's really no object for him...Kawasaki's footin the bill;)

The factory stock 14R is PLENTY fast and strong.Lots of full on runs down the strip just outta the crate...no reports of damage...except to the competition=0

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya I plan on bolting it and maybe running alittle spray later down the road. I was just curious if anyone had and experience yet with turboing one.

·
Administrator
58,646 Posts
Ya I plan on bolting it and maybe running alittle spray later down the road. I was just curious if anyone had and experience yet with turboing one.
That's quite a project for a new bike.
We definately want you here but i doubt you'll find the answers you're looking for.
We bolt on slip ons and have disputes on which oil to run.:lol
This might be a better bet,
http://psychobike.com/forums/forum.php

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
You must not like your bottom end.Check with Romans on the site Hammerhead suggested.Can't imaginine the compression surviving and adding spray.Bang!!!
Craig

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So basically if I'm gettin this straight your saying the new 14s can't handle spray with out motor work?

·
Premium Member
13,206 Posts
I'm saying I hope you have quite q bit of good luck and disposable income, especially if you haven't done this sort of thing before. A lot will be experimental as far as finding the limits of the power you can gain without spending a lot beefing things up. Expensive experiments.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
If you keep it at lower HP levels- 40 shot or so- I don't think you'll have big issues. It's really critical to have it tuned for when you're on the juice.

Problem with any power adder is when anything else goofs up, it can go boom real easy. Fuel system is very important to be totally reliable.

·
Registered
135 Posts
WOW!! Lots of nay-sayers here when it comes to power adders on ZX14s. I've run nitrous for over a year and no issues. Stock guts on my motor. 40 shot. Tune is imortant. Turbos aren't an issue either as long as you keep the boost down to a reasonable amount on stock internals. I have a racing buddy that turbo'd his ZX14 and kept the boost at 5 PSI. Over 265 HP and it hauls butt. No issues either.

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts
WOW!! Lots of nay-sayers here when it comes to power adders on ZX14s. I've run nitrous for over a year and no issues. Stock guts on my motor. 40 shot. Tune is imortant. Turbos aren't an issue either as long as you keep the boost down to a reasonable amount on stock internals. I have a racing buddy that turbo'd his ZX14 and kept the boost at 5 PSI. Over 265 HP and it hauls butt. No issues either.
I've heard of a lot of a lot of people runing spray or boost and the engine surviving but its usually drag racers that get them to survive because they usually have experience with power adders. I think the average noob doesn't have very good luck the first go at it. I think the biggest mistake is over doing it , either too much spray or too much boost then the big bills come.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts