Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever tried to tune a zx11d model for more low end grunt and midrange roll-on power like say in the 4000 to 7000 rpm range? GPZ1100 models are like this already, but they don't have the frame, suspension and brake components of the mighty ZX11D!

I'd even be willing to give up some top-end power because I mainly use this bike for (quick) two-up touring. :lol

I have heard changing the cam timing can help, and/or ignition timing, and/or carb jetting.

Has anyone any experience and results from these mods?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
The relative lack of midrange is more than likely due to hotter camshafts. Installing GPZ1100 camshafts in a ZX-11 engine could help this issue.

But from past road tests I read about the GPZ1100, the trade-off seems to be very bad (not much more midrange but way less top-end) to even consider doing this on my ZX-11.

Degreeing camshafts could also help but I think it is good only for marginal gain and the process is relatively involved.

I think you should use a larger (+ 2 teeth) rear sprocket. Yes, more RPM for a given speed but more "instant-on" power when the throttle is twisted.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you want low-midrange power, keep the stock exhaust. All aftermarket exhausts trade torque for power. Claude, I think I saw you mention this in bigbikeworld.

Also, raising the needles to cure the 4000 rpm flat spot helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I did a little research and found that the GPZ1100 cam timing on both intake and exhaust is retarded 3 degrees compared to the ZX, and of course lift and duration are much smaller and a little shorter respectively.

I also found that Kawasaki actually sells adjustable cam sprockets.

I'm thinking this might be a low cost experiment.

I just got this bike, and while I was shopping I tested a GPZ also. The difference in power down low is quite pronounced. It FEELS like the GPZ smokes the ZX in that range. My bike does have the stock exhaust and I will keep it.

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone out there actually has tried changing their cam timing, and if so, what was the result?

Also I had a ZRX1200R that I raised the needles .50mm with shims, and all it seemed to do was move the flat spot from 4000 up to around 6000rpm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts