Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I;m about to do my own tune-up to save money of course and just wanted to know what parts i should concentrate on, replace just the plugs and wires? check fluids, replace air filter? pre-load springs?, Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated:runaway

·
Registered
43 Posts
The most important thing to check and adjust (if needed) is the valve clearances, then synchronize the carbs. Just doing that much can make a huge difference in how your bike runs, especially if you're overdue for a valve adjustment. If you're feeling ambitious you can disassemble and clean the carbs, especially if the bike has been sitting for several months without being run.

·
Registered
96 Posts
A little history about the bike will help others decide what you need.The mileage being one as mentioned, any abnormal running issues, poor performance, smoking things like that. Have you kept any service records on the bike? Do you know when the last time the fluids where changed? Typically I don't replace unless you can see a obvious problem or break down of the wire. I'm a automobile tech so I'm looking at it from that propective.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am the third owner of the bike about 18535 miles on her. Bike runs ok, little idleing problems at low rpm's. Bike shop says it needs a tune-up but i much rather do it myself, so much cheaper. I was just gonna do plugs, wires, and change fluids. I have no records of anything, bike did sit over the winter. the oil has been changed this spring

·
Registered
151 Posts
Clymer says you're at the 18000 mile interval which includes everything from the 3k and 6k intervals:

Plugs, carb sync, air filter cleaning, valve clearances, coolant change and fork oil change. Plus checking everything imaginable.

I have almost the same bike, and mine has been sitting for 3 plus years so I rebuilt the carbs, changed the plugs and oil/filter. I probably should have cleaned in the filter in the tank. I'm going to a mechanic for carb sync and valve clearances and probably a compression check. These all require tools I don't feel like buying. I need an inspection anyway.

The manual also says coolant, fork oil, and brake fiuld should be changed and fuel and brake lines replaced every 2 years regardless of mileage. I think everything but the coolant change is excessive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts