Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to get the engine out of my zx6r 97, and ive come to remove the front sprocket. Ive folded back the locking bit however i cant get the bolt to move at all. Ive had someone standing on the rear break and holding the bike but still nothing. I don't have any air tools. I need to get the engine out so i can have the frame looked at. Is there any other way to get the chain off, any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
First, in any attempt, always leave the transmission in neutral. You don't want any torque applied to the nut to go into gear's relatively weak shifting dogs.

Second, best way is to use air tools. You don't have any but try to borrow some or get the bike where there are some.

Another trick that could help would be to loosen the chain as much as you can, in order to have top and bottom rows touching each other (between both sprockets, of course.). Then insert a bolt (an M6 works on my 530 chain) between both rows and put a nut on the bolt's end. Better to use a large flat washer under the nut and under bolt's head. Then adjust the chain but just to remove much of the loose. That way, you should be able to apply big torque to the sprocket's nut with nothing turning. You will need a long pry bar and possibly a lot of force on it. Maybe it won't work if really tight but that's what I would try. I think it is better to have the chain replaced, just in case (unlikely though) the bolt could induce some damage. But a chain is much cheaper to replace than any tranny work...

·
Registered
72 Posts
i have the same problem with my front sprocket as well,wish i'd read this first,as i had it in gear when i tried undoing mine and managed to get the engine to turn over :banghead ,i take it , it un-does anti-clockwise ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to get it taken in to the shop tomorrow. I have already damaged one component by putting to much force on it. Also they say they will need the engine in place if in case they need to straighten the frame. With any luck ill have the frame sorted soon and can rest easy with the rest of the repairs. :smile

1 - 5 of 5 Posts