Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Doing minor adjustments on fork height and wondering if possible to bend fork tubes by too tight on fork clamps or is there a block or something in fork tube to reinforce in area. Is it possible to torque the bolts without taking all surroundings off?

Not overly concerned but I just did and has been my third time for fine tuning suspension character. All the little adjusting makes a world of a difference. My first bike I've been able to fiddle with adjustable suspension so took me a while to get a feel for it. I think I'm going to have to fiddle a little more with front end height. Would love to have more ease of rear preload, rather than knocking at the lock ring.

Anyone have a lot of suspension tuning experience have any characters of the 14 that could be shared also?

I just went back to stock bar height (had genmars on) and get a little more tiredness (not really soreness) in arms and back but very well worth the handling improvement. Bike just plain handles better with more weight on front. In some ways, it is more comfortable because it feels more like a sportbike so it's easier to ride it that way.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I just went back to stock bar height (had genmars on) and get a little more tiredness (not really soreness) in arms and back but very well worth the handling improvement. Bike just plain handles better with more weight on front. In some ways, it is more comfortable because it feels more like a sportbike so it's easier to ride it that way.
I was wondering when I was going to read that. :headscratch

Often wondered about all the guys putting motocross bars on the bike, or even risers, and how that REALLY affected weight distribution and handling as designed. Had a pretty good idea that it HAD TO have a negative effect on the performance and weight distribution. How could it not, it is simply physics.

I agree about adjusting the bike properly. I am lucky enough to have a good mechanic who is also a racer and understands how to set up a bike for a rider.

I know that I will be upgrading both the front and rear suspension when I can afford it. I understand that Kawasaki did the best they could with the money allotted to bring the bike to market at a reasonable price. I am willing to upgrade to increase performance. I know what a difference upgrading the brake discs, pads, lines and controls made, so suspension is a natural.

Thanks for posting up Phil.

OP

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was wondering when I was going to read that. :headscratch

Often wondered about all the guys putting motocross bars on the bike, or even risers, and how that REALLY affected weight distribution and handling as designed. Had a pretty good idea that it HAD TO have a negative effect on the performance and weight distribution. How could it not, it is simply physics.

I agree about adjusting the bike properly. I am lucky enough to have a good mechanic who is also a racer and understands how to set up a bike for a rider.

I know that I will be upgrading both the front and rear suspension when I can afford it. I understand that Kawasaki did the best they could with the money allotted to bring the bike to market at a reasonable price. I am willing to upgrade to increase performance. I know what a difference upgrading the brake discs, pads, lines and controls made, so suspension is a natural.

Thanks for posting up Phil.

OP
I was flipping back and forth from genmars, stock, helibars. Might go back for 2up. But took me awhile to really get suspension dialed into ballpark. I went from one extreme to the other. Bike didn't want to turn in and hold line at higher speeds to bike flopped over into low speed corners. From bottoming out to being bounced off the seat. But as I got dialed in, everything became more comfortable. The shaved seat might have had helped some of the comfort as it seem to bring me closer to the bars (I'm short), but I think having the bike handle just the way I want makes things much less tiring as it's all more relaxing. The bike can definately turn. It gets up and over quicker than I thought possible but more than that, it's much more precise with less effort. IDK, but this bike seems very sensitive to suspension settings. And if you don't know what you're doing like me, it takes a long time trial and erroring everything.

·
Premium Member
13,119 Posts
I set mine according to the parameters found on a sportbike site and it was still a bit stiff, so I backed off the preload some more on the fork. Have the fork tubes slid up 1 1/4" above the top clamp to quicken the steering. A friend had new springs and heavier oil put in his fork tubes and mine is as stiff as his, so I have to assume a previous owner installed the stiffer springs and thicker oil. I would back off the rear spring preload also, but I want to see how it rides with the bags fully loaded first since it is too much of a PITA to change rear preload. I have an LSL-type bar adapter and Renthal alloy superbike bars and I have no problems getting it to turn.

I always thought clip-ons were to get your body down out of the airstream and made any bike harder to turn rather than easier. When your chest is on the tank and your knee is dragging, only the inside bar has any weight on it at all, and you're actually pulling on the outside one.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With the stock clips, the bike gets up and over much much quicker and is much more laser-like in cornering precision. My suspension setting tweaking helped also and it's putting serious grins on my face. It is much more effortless in cornering quickly with minimal inputs thru the turn. More confidence inspiring and don't have to think about where and how bike taking turn. Just look and go. At the stock height, my elbows seem to be closer towards knees and its quite natural feeling, although lower.

Hey HH, was actually thinking of what it compares to your previous 12. Was also thinking about a guy who said the 14 handled better than a vfr800. The vfr800 is pretty sweet handling and I wasn't sure about the comment. But I'm starting to believe the 14 IS better than either. I thought maybe the 14 too big and heavy blah blah, but I'm convinced getting the suspension dialed makes every difference on this bike. The stock clip height is also now working for me better in this regard.

·
Premium Member
13,119 Posts
A VFR 800 weighs about as much as a ZX-14, so saying the 14 handles better is plausible, although I've never ridden the Honda. A V-4 can't quite equal the forward weight bias of an inline-4, something that has kept Yamaha competitive in MotoGP versus the V-4s of Honda and Ducati. It will be interesting to see how the CRT bikes do after a couple of seasons of development. I think all of them will be inline-4 powered unless someone enters and Aprilia-powered machine.

Well, apparently there IS an Aprilia-engined CRT bike and so far, it is the fastest of the CRTs, although I just read it is much closer to a prototype motor than the production-based motors of the other CRT machines.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My bro had the vfr800 so I had chance to ride some. At time, I thought it felt lighter than the 14. Specs out close in many ways. Maybe it's because narrower with slightly closer and higher reach.

Anyhoo, anyone ever over torque the triple clamps or am I thinking about a non issue....

·
Premium Member
13,119 Posts
I think as long as you stick with the book-recommended torque value, you'll be OK. I have seen clamp marks on the aluminum upper fork tubes of inverted forks, but I've never seen any clamped hard enough to collapse the tube. I don't think the design of the clamps would allow that to happen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts