Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if it's a trade off with a TRE as far as low end power (below 5k) and top end?
Sounds like the TRE does away with the fuel cut off and 186 mph limiter for the top end--but at what cost?
Has anyone installed one of these and tried it out?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Buz said:
Does anyone know if it's a trade off with a TRE as far as low end power (below 5k) and top end?
Sounds like the TRE does away with the fuel cut off and 186 mph limiter for the top end--but at what cost?
Sounds super & its a cheap upgrade below is a direct quote from the link:

The TRE will not disable the speed limiter on the Kawasaki ZX14.

I' m not being picky or anything anal, just want to be sure the loyal readers get the straight dope on aftermarket stuff.

rumors and misconceptions are everywhere like: hey did you hear about Honda bringing back the blackbird in 1400cc for "07"

my riding buddy got the red on last week, and i rode it sunday. "HOLY SHIT" i'm glad that the power delivery is soft till 5k , it gives you a chance to hang on before the real fun starts.

"If you ride anything besides a Kawasaki, you might as well be riding a frickin moped"

·
Registered
196 Posts
from what I have read the TRE makes the computer think the bike is in 5th gear no matter what gear it is in so that it won't retard the timing in the lower rpm range.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It doesn't affect the timing one way or the other. What it does do is allow the secondary throttle butterflies to open sooner restoring the bottom end power...

·
Registered
196 Posts
I thought the secondary plates were there to smooth out the throttle so it wouldn't be so off, on. make the bike feel more like a carbed bike.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The TRE tricks the bike into thinking it is in 6th gear all the time. Therefore the secondary butterflies start to open at around 3000 rpm all the time in every gear rather than 3000 in 6th gear and around 7000 in all the other gears.I have on installed on my bike and it works great.If you want any more info just ask.:runaway

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
crowdpleaser said:
The TRE tricks the bike into thinking it is in 6th gear all the time. Therefore the secondary butterflies start to open at around 3000 rpm all the time in every gear rather than 3000 in 6th gear and around 7000 in all the other gears.I have on installed on my bike and it works great.If you want any more info just ask.:runaway
Thanks for the info, mine will be here in a couple days.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Buz said:
Well I hope this goes better than on that other forum! They have a problem with hearing the truth.:thefinger Yes, I just installed the TRE made by Ivan's,on my ZX14 and it is fantastic! The power comes on about 2500rpm, not the 5000+ like before, It is good clean power and not hard to controll but way more than before. The kit was very good quality and easy to install taking only 10 minutes the cost was reasonable at 77.00 including delivery, the draw backs are you loose your launch lite function and it reads 6 on the gear indicator unless it is in nuetral and the nuetral light does work like always. As for top speed, it doesn't change that but how fast do you want to go over 180? Im not trying to plug their product but its nice to see a product that is of good quality and does as advertised, Im sure there are other brands that might do just as well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As a follow up to this..the TRE works great and i wish i had installed it from day one.
Vote for best bang for the buck mod under $100.00

·
Registered
40 Posts
You can do the same thing as the TRE for around $1, You need to go to Radio Shack and get a 270ohm resistor. You then need to go to the gear position switch and remove G/R wire from harness and install the resistor to it and to a ground. Works the same as the TRE.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ZX-XIV said:
You can do the same thing as the TRE for around $1, You need to go to Radio Shack and get a 270ohm resistor. You then need to go to the gear position switch and remome the B/R or G/R wire from harness and install the resistor to it and to a ground. Works the same as the TRE.

Little late for your version..oh well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Better then the TRE

Better then the TRE, is to remove the secondary butterfly all together. I did this and it’s the best mod I made. I also have Muzzy full exhaust, Power commander, one tooth lower in front sprocket , and yellow box speed calibrator. Dam fast bike :scared

·
Registered
12 Posts
I also opted for the fly removal and really enjoy having the torque down where it's most fun. Hav'nt had any negative effects,smooth power delivery,just basicly a new bike all around with a lighter feel and effortless power .The next step would be a 16 tooth spkt. buy not sure I want to turn this into a wheelie monster. Prior to removing flies I was very disappointed with the bike...felt like riding a moped than at 6000rpm it turned into a rocket.I found that most of your normal street riding is below 6000rpm and wasn.t having any fun riding.....but now it's a joy to ride.........

·
Registered
1 Posts
top speed restriction

There is also another offering for a TRE at www.zx14.net that removes the top speed limiter as well as restores the power at lower rpm. It is an import product and the text is a little confusing. I cant tell for sure from the text if it removes the restrictions on 1st gear or not. I will have mine instelled when I get home on the 18th so I will let you all know how it turns out

·
Registered
11 Posts
TRE and Lean situation?

:banghead Many people on the various ZX14 forums are talking about how great the TRE works, but what is it doing to the air fuel mixture ratio? I read that it leans it out to dangerous levels at certain RPM/throttle positions..

Has anyone had their bike checked out on a dyno etc? How about the lean out situation? Is ther a power commander program to rectify the situation?/

Thanks Mark

·
Registered
498 Posts
:banghead Many people on the various ZX14 forums are talking about how great the TRE works, but what is it doing to the air fuel mixture ratio? I read that it leans it out to dangerous levels at certain RPM/throttle positions..

Has anyone had their bike checked out on a dyno etc? How about the lean out situation? Is ther a power commander program to rectify the situation?/

Thanks Mark
Sorry i can't post you my dyno chart, but i can confirm that is does infact lean a bit starting around 3500rpm. Taking out the flies and using the TRE all has the same effect. In order to rectify it is to install PC3. I've done 6000km stock bike minus flies. No problems whatsoever...

·
Registered
35 Posts

Thanks Mark
I would say that the TRE doesn't lean the bike out, as the bike thinks it's in 6th gear all the time. So if in 6th gear the bike opens the flies early, then it must also supply added fuel too.
However, I would be concerned about the fact that the bike may have different fuel mapping for the various gears regardless, based on the fact the 6th gear at 6000 rpm would be a lot of air in the ram air, whereas 1st gear at 6000 rpm would not get this ram air affect. So basically it would be safe, however over rich, period. So then a PCIII comes into play. BUT, if so, then why waste money on the TRE when you can remove the flies for FREE and do a map for that!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
If you have the pcIII you can probably map to produce the same effect from the TRE which is a less expensive and simpler way as far as labor goes to physically pulling parts out of the bike that Kawi designed to be there. It's another person putting something out there to provide an alterior method to reach the same result (more power) while making themselves some money too. Nothing wrong with that. Some day I'll come up with my money maker:headscratch . It all depends on your apptitude do you prefer the wrench or the plug-in method. The PcIII gives you growing room also as you put on a pipe,filter,new gears, nitrous, etc. you will need that ability. So how far you going minor one time mods or building as you go.:bling :bling

1 - 20 of 32 Posts