Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can a local shop change my individual transmission gear changes if i got aftermarket ratios?

I was thinking about going -1/+2 sprockets but having 6 gear changed to lower my highway rpms back to stock rpm levels. It would be kind of like "overdrive".
I know it would be a big step from 5 th to 6 th but i am not concered

·
Registered
680 Posts
Dude, that's a great idea. I'd be curious to know how much that sort of thing would cost. I doubt the 5th to 6th jump would even be that bad.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I don't know about local shops, but trans specialty shops can. My brother has a built KZ1000 with an MRE transmission. It has aftermarket gears with a taller 1st and 5th gears (KZ's are 5 speeds).

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I read that these cassette transmissions are supposed to be "easy"!gear ratio changes.
I think it would be fun to gear down the sprockets and still be able to cruise easy in 6 th.
That way i wouldnt be killing the engine on trips at 90 mph but could still get the attention of some liter bikes red light to redlight. LOL

·
Registered
517 Posts
how much would you figure it would cost to get this done??

·
Premium Member
13,003 Posts
I read that these cassette transmissions are supposed to be "easy"!gear ratio changes.
I think it would be fun to gear down the sprockets and still be able to cruise easy in 6 th.
That way i wouldnt be killing the engine on trips at 90 mph but could still get the attention of some liter bikes red light to redlight. LOL
A cassette gearbox involves an inner cover that is integral with the gear shafts so when you remove it, instead of having to unbolt something on the opposite side to free up the gear shafts, the whole works pulls out as a unit. Not something you can just add to your motor. Major re-engineering would be involved.

·
Premium Member
13,003 Posts
I don't know about local shops, but trans specialty shops can. My brother has a built KZ1000 with an MRE transmission. It has aftermarket gears with a taller 1st and 5th gears (KZ's are 5 speeds).
Since air-cooled KZs were raced for many years, there are some aftermarket gears available. If they are not available for your application, you would have to have them custom-cut. Expen$ive, to say the least.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts