6,610 Posts
That's a great way to spend the holiday.:smile

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
First Vid.

My fastest lap of the weekend.

Sorry about the poor quality. I ran a front and rear camera and my front camera was at an incorrect setting and I didn't get the front view so all I have is the rear view but it's still pretty good. I was sooooo pissed.

http://youtu.be/t3wqxaf_8JA

Vid 2 should be up later on. Much better quality and a front view.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Report:

Got out on Monday and was pretty close to my best time straight away. Ran a 1:38 on my second session out pretty much matching my best time in May when I ran on the Dunlop slicks. NOTE: I ran a 1:38.4 with the Dunlop Slicks in cooler temps when the bike probably ran better. My bike was noticeably down on steam due to the heat/humidity and I still cut a 1:38.8 with the Bridgestone slicks. For being $50 cheaper the Bridgestone slicks served me well. The front turned in a little better than the Dunlop and the rear gripped really well. When it finally went off and slid it was controllable.

I rode the nuts and bolts off of this thing! On Monday I almost lost the left rearset when a bolt vibrated out. I promptly lock-tit'ed the bolt at the end of the session. Then on Tuesday I nearly crashed after the foot peg bolt came loose causing it to rotate upside down and not allowing me to weight the peg as it would fold. Aftermarket Rearsets are in order for serious riding.

Advanced group riders typically average from 1:35-1:39 at NJMP. The really fast guys/Racers run 1:33 or faster. Some even going as quick as 1:27-1:29 range. At present, my impressions are that the ZX-7R can get into the 1:35-1:37 range if the rider is first of all lighter than 200lbs and can run perfect laps. Due to the weight of the bike I'm not sure if it can really get any faster. I was full throttle in many parts of the track, getting decent drives and still getting passed. In Novice/Intermediate group it's all about the rider but at the Advanced Group pace the machine begins to matter more assuming that most riders are nearly equal in ability.

The best way I can describe it is that the ZX-7R is very capable but requires commitment and work from the rider. It will make a great rider out of anyone who is willing to put the time in and learn on it. Since the bike comes from Kawasaki in a conservative state of tune (11.5 compression ratio), in my opinion, at Advanced pace, in order to be more competitive with modern machines it would be necessary to bump compression up to about as close to 13.0 as possible.

Either way, it's fun to rail around on old tech giving the newer bikes fits. For street riding this bike is more than capable for twisties and backroads. You will hold your own. In fact one of the strong points for this bike is the handling. In my experience I could corner tighter and make left-to-right transitions as good as any 600cc bike out there. In spite of it's weight, you will not get left in the corners with this bike. However, once the road straightens up you will get pulled in most cases. Better have good brakes and charge the next corner - just take care not to run wide.

I didn't have too much motivation to ride this weekend and actually only rode half a day on Tuesday. Especially after the foot peg incident. Yet, I still managed to get a couple of neat vids in and a few pics. At the end of the day, after 2 seasons of riding the ZX-7R on the track the ZX-7R made a world of difference in my riding.

My track tenure with the ZX-7R may be coming to an end as I'm looking into a ZX-10R for track duty or possibly even an S1000RR or a GSX-R750 if my more sensible side gets the better of me. I'll still have the '02 and will definitely hang around though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts