Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off, New member here - Great forum and resource here.:smile

I know that this is a ZX forum, and I'm assuming that I'll get mostly suggestions for the ZX14R, but I'm hoping that some one here will have ridden both and can give me an accurate opinion about how the two compare.

My situation:

I live in western Colorado. My last new bike was my 2000 RC-51, and although it was a neat bike, it wasn't the arm pulling rocket it was trumped up to be. I've been lusting for a new bike. I want something that will accelerate almost violently putting a smile on my face when called upon.

In this region it's mostly straight roads and hardly any tight twisties. We do have some decent curvy sections, but they are higher speeds, and the risks are great - usually a cliff or armco rail. There is quite a bit of long, straight roads out of the valley here to get "anywhere". There is also a slight possibility of doing some track days at Miller Motorsports Park. I raced from 1995-2000, so the track environment isn't all that unfamiliar to me.

More than likely, the bike will be for spontaneous jaunts of a few hours or less. With a business, wife, house and newborn, I don't have the free time to go on epic multi-day rides. I'd like to get the wife on the back ( ZX would be better I guess in this situation), but there is a chance that she will not be interested in it, or we just won't be able to both get enough free time to take off together. I also have a KTM 950 Adventure as a two -up mount.

I want something exciting, but also comfortable and nice looking. I'm 145lbs, so the weight of the big ZX worries me. The torque is what attracts me to the bike, along with the almost sport touring comfort. Being an ex racer, the BMW S1000RR is the ultimate race bike for the street.

I know that the two bikes are in different categories, but I also think that what my criteria is almost touches both categories equally. On one hand, I want the fastest, most powerful race bike for the street. I think this comes from my racing years, and always wondering what it would be like to ride a Superbike. The BMW S1000RR is a factory Superbike (power at least ) of just a few years ago. The thought of possibly doing a track day sounds like fun. On the other hand, hopping on the ZX and just rolling on and feeling the 120 ft/lb of torque sounds like it would be exhilarating and make the bike easier to ride.

What would you buy?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Was just reading this on bikeland.org buddy has both,twisties are better on BMW,but any straight line acceleration or comfort 14r.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
ZX14: Better for long distance and two up riding.
S1000RR: Better for twisties ridden solo.

They ALMOST fill two different niches to me. !4 for street and 1000 for track and THEN we're talking.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Buy the beemer.
You are still interested in corner carving. you have another bike for 2-up riding. i think you may do a couple 3 trackdays a year. The '12 beemer has been upgraded considerably. I'm sure you have read all about it. And so has the ZX. Sometimes I feel like trying a 14.

The beemer is almost exactly the same size as the '08-'10 10R. The '11-'12 10R is supersport in size. It is noticeably smaller than the 3rd gen 10R. Go sit on one. It feels like a 600. The new 10R can be made to equal the beemer very easily with a slip-on, an ECU reflash and a Pensky shock, I'd definitely get ABS. i think the beemer might be just a little more ergonomic than the 10R just because it's a little bigger and heavier. I could be wrong. The beemer now has tons of aftermarket parts available. You can really transform the bike into anything you want.

The reliability and dependability factory would go to the Kawi I believe. Beemer parts come from Germany unless there is a warehouse close to your location. This would be the only thing keeping me from buying a s1000r. I would be at the mercy of my closest dealer. Maybe it's really not an issue.

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
Your on a Kawi forum.Is this even a question?
ZX14R!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Buy the beemer.
You are still interested in corner carving. you have another bike for 2-up riding. i think you may do a couple 3 trackdays a year. The '12 beemer has been upgraded considerably. I'm sure you have read all about it. And so has the ZX. Sometimes I feel like trying a 14.
If you would have rode a ZX14 you wouldnt have been saying this..

Id say 14 blows the bmw outta the water. i love my 14 comfort, power, feel, it just looks big and mean.. but im a bigger boy. 240 pnds the bmw would feel like a pedal bike between my legs.. :crazyloco

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have ridden both bikes (I have a 2007 ZX14, my buddy has a BMW S1000 along with some other bikes). I'm a mid-size rider, 5'11" 180lbs, and have previously owned a 1985 BMW K100RT, and a 1996 BMW R1100RS, and recently got the ZX14 in a good deal.

For two-up sport riding and touring, the ZX14 wins, and you can add on hard luggage (I have the Givi V35s). For single sport riding with a tank bag and maybe a small bag on the rear, yes, you can use the S1000. These two bikes are indeed in different classes, and are near the top (if not at the top) in their class.

·
Registered
937 Posts
<. . . The BMW S1000RR is a factory Superbike . . . On the other hand, hopping on the ZX and just rolling on and feeling the 120 ft/lb of torque sounds like it would be exhilarating and make the bike easier to ride.

What would you buy?
The ZX -14 owns velocity, incredible ergonomics, awesome handling, terrifying power, hyper speed and it requires near Zero maintenance. Being a fast, long distance rider, in my opinion its the most perfect production motorcycle ever built.

I have an '06 and setting aside any issue of money, I would not trade my '06 14 for any production motorcycle including subsequent year ZX14s. . .excepting, of course, the 2012 ZX14.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Really? Everyone knows that the bimmer is the winner of every shoot out in every mag. If your 145lbs, like going fast, twisties, and have the money not only for the bike but for the maintenance then get the bimmer for 16-17k otd. If you are looking for the most comfortable hypersport bike that doesnt punish your shoulders, wrists, neck, back, and butt after a few hours of riding and is great for 2-ups, and intown-out of town friendly commutes get the 14. The 14 is hands down the most streetable bike I have ever ridden, for the twisties I perfer a zx-10r, I am not a squid and do not have to have the best, fastest bike, and bragging rights, so I can't see paying 17k for a bike. However I use my 14 every sunday to go on spirited morning rides with 600-1000cc bikes and I'm usually toward the front of the pack, the bike does everything I need it to do, has never gotten me in trouble or let me down, and while everyone else is complaining how sore they are, I just laugh.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Well I haven't rode the zx14 and not sure if I want to haha its deff a big bike for me. I'm 5'7" @140 and I sat on it and was deff huge feeling to me lol. The s1000 I test rode and let me tell ya. The trac control is awesome and mapping on it is amazing. Shift assist makes dragging the bike easy as eating cake. Smaller bike with 198 hp vs zx14's 185 hp. I don't know the s1000 torque number but I'm sure the 14 has it beat. Two up on a s1000 would be just iffy unless ur gal is 110 pounds of skinny caz that rear seat... Well might as well roll up a newspaper haha. Zx14 weighs in at 584. S1000 is in the 400's. Put it this way. When they first brought out the s1000 they had placed r6 plastics on it so ppl wouldn't know it was a BMW. Straight and few track days with some trips in the twisties. I'd go with the s1000. 2 up and more sport touring or drag racing only I'd go with the 14. Test ride them if you can. Shops in this small town let you take bikes out.

·
Registered
100 Posts
covett, your HP & bike weight numbers quoted above seem skewed.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The s1000 is from the info I got from BMW on my test ride. The numbers from the zx14 are from ssb on their dyno and it's wet weight of the 14. A guy at BMW had his 10 s1000 dyno 193 hp but I don't know if had a PC or not. He has stock exhaust on it thou

·
Registered
320 Posts
S1000 specs show 180 hp 80 ftlb torque @458 pounds wet tested. This is 2009 specs not 2012 so could change Claimed 193hp 83 ftlb torque @450lbs wet. Being in Colorado his numbers will change seeing he is at 5200 + ft elevation.

2012 zx14 tested 185.1hp 109.6ftlb torque @ 584 pounds wet.
New busa tested with zx14 166.4hp 99.1ftlb torque @ 573 pounds wet

Ur talking 126 pound diff with just about same hp only 29 more ft pounds of torque for the 14 both bikes fully wet. He says he is 145 and someone riding a 14 will prob most deff out weight him by a good 50 pounds so he will be 175 ish pounds lighter on an s1000 that is the size of an r6. Then again he could have a good 50 pound advantage on another zx14 rider lol

·
Registered
400 Posts
Why not throw a Ducati in the mix? Glorious vtwin music with termi's. Super narrow and kinda the purest motorcycle experience, IMO. But that also comes with maintenance, breakdown and repair. I'm 5'6 in my socks and about 160lbs. I shaved my seat and on balls of feet in sportbike boots. 2 up lowers bike enough to feel plenty comfortable at stopped and is shockingly good with the extra passenger weight and luggage, if you like. The bike is heavy and big for a sportbike. You'll be disappointed if you're looking for a quick up and over, flickable machine. At slower speeds (under 40mph or so), you'll notice the longish wheelbase and it best to have a planned trajectory. It's not a problem as it rewards smooth riding and only gets better and better as speed rise. It's utterly effortless to ride at any speed, in any conditions (except gravel), and massive torque is avail anywhere over 4000 rpms. Long distance comfort is where this sport bike excels. I simply don't feel I want any other bike (except 14r, or course) as a 14 owner.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Why not throw a Ducati in the mix? Glorious vtwin music with termi's. Super narrow and kinda the purest motorcycle experience, IMO. But that also comes with maintenance, breakdown and repair. I'm 5'6 in my socks and about 160lbs. I shaved my seat and on balls of feet in sportbike boots. 2 up lowers bike enough to feel plenty comfortable at stopped and is shockingly good with the extra passenger weight and luggage, if you like. The bike is heavy and big for a sportbike. You'll be disappointed if you're looking for a quick up and over, flickable machine. At slower speeds (under 40mph or so), you'll notice the longish wheelbase and it best to have a planned trajectory. It's not a problem as it rewards smooth riding and only gets better and better as speed rise. It's utterly effortless to ride at any speed, in any conditions (except gravel), and massive torque is avail anywhere over 4000 rpms. Long distance comfort is where this sport bike excels. I simply don't feel I want any other bike (except 14r, or course) as a 14 owner.
I did consider the new 1199 Panigale briefly, but wrote it off for a few reasons. Closest dealer is about 4 hours away. Also, the TriColore( I absolutely love this color scheme) is about $30,000. Having a back seat is also a nice option.

I's still leaning towards a 14R in green, but they way another poster laid out the specs, the additional torque of the 14 will almost be negated by the roughly 150 lbs of additional weight.

I'm going to try to make a trip to Denver/Colorado Springs this weekend to at least throw a leg over each.

One quick question about the 14R. Does it power wheelie through the gears easily, or does the longer wheelbase and additional weight kind of keep it on the ground more?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Do some more reading on the 14r.guys are saying it wheelies like a litre bike through first couple of gears.on the dyno once they are broken in they are getting 193 to 196hptand 113 to 116lbs/ft torque. From the magazines a stock beemers are at 175 to 180 HP and 80lbs/ft torque .even with the less weight that's alot of HP and torque to make up.those are at the wheel numbers.

·
Registered
320 Posts
With the trac control off a guy around here holds the wheel up until he wants to put it down hahaha. Most liter bikes nowadays will with no problem. But again I'm at only 600 ft elevation and my 636 will keep the wheel off about an inch or so thru the gears if I don't try to push it down and just mess around with my skinny butt on it lol

1 - 20 of 87 Posts