Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been considering a topbox for the Gtr but I am concerned about the strength of the plastic rack the bike is fitted with.I see some owners have had a new plate fabricated to take the box but is it really necassary or will the standard rack be ok ? anyone advise on the best option ? I have used Givi in the past and found them to be good quality. A photo of a box on your bike would be helpfull for me to choose the best option. Pease also tell me how you mounted it,thanks all.:headscratch

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi I've used a Givi E52 on a plate which i've had fabricated. The plate fits perfectly on the GTR and is designed to allow adjustment for the box to move forwards or backwards slightly to suit diffent pillions. The plate I actually used is the very early stage version. The final versions will be available any time now, powder coated black. Cost should be about £75. My wife and I have just competed 2,000 miles though the Austian Alpas. It was great.

Just trying to work out how to post the photos.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I installed the V46 with the E250 universal plate and had flexing as well. I am replacing the stock plate with a 1/4" aluminum custom cut one. I have read a couple online vendors are going to be producing plates as well.

I'm curious how the official Kawasaki top box will work out and if they are going to offer a different mounting plate to accompany the box.

Todd

·
Registered
368 Posts
Awesome pictures garryg. Thanks for sharing. The Givi E52 is on my Christmas list.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Here was my solution. I already had my GIVI E450N on the ZZR, so I just needed a way to mount it. Following the advice from those on this site, I took off the stock platic plate and took some measurements. I ordered a rectangular piece of .25" aluminum plate (I don't remember the exact dimensions right now). I mounted that up and then mounted the universal monokey GIVI mount to it. I know some others have done much better with the aluminum plate, but I just left it as I got it from online (discountsteel.com). The plate itself is somewhat ugly, but with the topbox on you can't really tell. Since I already owned the topbox, the cost was low. Only about $20 shipped for the aluminum plate and $60 for the universal mount. The wife loves having a backrest. Here are the pics of the final results.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
topbox plate

Hi Garry, Can you remove the topbox from the plate as you would normally with the key or does the box have to be unbolted from the plate ? Karl.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I machined a baseplate myself and replaced the stock luggage rack by this plate.
On that I mounted an old topcase (the small one) from the Honda ST1100.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi Garry, Can you remove the topbox from the plate as you would normally with the key or does the box have to be unbolted from the plate ? Karl.
Karl, the box can be removed in the normal way as it's mounted on one of their universal plates. The fixing plate I've had fabricated matches the profile of the Givi plate so it looks like one unit whilst being much stronger and giving the forward/backwards adjustment. Having the top case in the wrong position, especially too far forward, can be a real pain for the pillion.

As per my earlier post, I'm using an early test plate, the final ones will be powder coated black.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts