Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 291 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've hit the limiter on my ZX-12 which is supposed to be 186mph. I derestricted and know I've gone over that but didn't have a GPS and the analog speedo on that bike is hard enough to read at freeway speeds let alone screaming down the road at 180+

I put a piece of black tape over it with the edge at 186 so I would not see the needle unless it went over that so I would have a yes /no answer as to whether I exceeded the restricted speed.

BTW I've noticed several new riders in the forum and for their benefit I thought I would share this with anyone thinking about trying a high speed run.

Just a quick reminder that whatever distance your bike stops in from 60 mph it will take it 4 times that distance, at least, from twice that speed. From 180 mph or it will take 9 times the distance to stop that it does from 60.

Put another way. If at 186 you saw a deer walk on the road 3 football fields in front of you and instantly applied the brakes you would still be doing at least 50mph when you hit it.

Stay safe.

·
Registered
23 Posts
got my 2001 zx6r to 178mph while racing a 2003 gsxr600. But i got back down to 45mph really fast but i hit front and back brakes at the same time.......never locked them up though. Hoorayy for good tires and brakes.

G

·
So I know it was completely irresponsible but...

I hit 247Km/h on my 86' - according to my speedo, no way to verify...
Fastest I've ever gone for sure.

Something interesting that I noted as well is even when I had slowed down to 180, how much more quickly things come up, it may sound stupid but I've heard that our brain's can barely manage 100, so at twice that speed our perception is even further out... Example: Did you know that dotted yellow lines are 10 ft long??? I always figured maybe 3 ft.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well my bike has carbs, full muzzy system and......yup thats it. My speedo says 180mph on it and i was trying to hit it but when i let off i was right at/around 178mph if im not mistaken. At those speeds my eye's were more glued to what was in front of me on the road not what was on the speedo.

·
Registered
92 Posts
What is the deal with top speeds being higher than the bike goes. The 05 06 636 tops at 162. thats a fact. unless youve done massive mods, your full of it.
Thats true bike speed, like if you were clocked by a radar gun or GPS, when guys say they're doin 175, 180+ ect. thats whats indicated on the speedo, which can be out 10-15% from how fast you are really goin. Like when it indicated 293km/h on mine, i was probably only doin 265-275 max. but either way u look at it, when your speedo indicates 180mph, and your realy only doin 160, who cares! your still fuckin flying:crazyloco

·
Registered
138 Posts
:tard I'VE HAD THE 14 TO THE LIMITER A HALF DOZEN TIMES OR MORE AND IT SHOWS 300KPH AND FEELS LIKE IT HAS MORE WITH THE MODS I HAVE. DAM LIMITER.:thefinger

·
Registered
38 Posts
187mph in north dakota indicated so probably like 164 on my 06

·
Registered
201 Posts
Just a little info for people a stock bike from any manufacturer has a limiter that will not allow it to go over 186 MPH. That goes back to a gentlemans agreement that the manufacturers had so they wouldn't produce "suicide machines."
Also most speedos are off by about 10-15% from the factory.:crazyloco

1 - 20 of 291 Posts