Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone ever got a letter in the mail or anything from them for not paying? can the camera see all the way up under the tail section? my plate is located at the end of the undertail. i went threw it today and was able to cover it with my hand as i went threw.

matt

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have never gotten a ticket before on my 600, i had mine tucked underneath all the way too, i usually just put my foot to cover it up. Never got a ticket.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have wondered the same thing kind of. If you have like a comp. werks setup where the plate is visable but way up under the rear, would those cameras be able to get your plate or not :headscratch Problem is, I'm thinking eventually a cop would do me for "obscured plate on a toll hwy". That would suck :rant Covering the plate as you go by the cameras is probably the best method (unless there's a cop there watching). They also might just send somebody out there too if you travel the same one at a regular time each day cuz they would keep getting this photo of a foot instead of a plate number :nana

·
Registered
432 Posts
I've traveled the express toll road hwy 407 from Burlington,Ont to hwy 400 at north Toronto numerous times on my ZZ-R1200 without ever receiving a toll charge. It's number plate is placed high and at an angle on a bracket I manufactured. Apparently the angle and placement shields it from cameras.

I've also taken that same route while pulling a bike trailer behind my Ford ranger, also without receiving a toll charge. The traier's plate is mounted quite low, again at an angle, but on the left mudguard near the trailer's fore/aft center line. Again, I suppose that placement 'tricks' the camera's lens..:nana :thefinger

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
heres some pics of where i have it located

[/IMG]

MY OTHER BABY IN THE BACKGROUND
IMG]
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

btw i no i gotta fix the tip of my undertail

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
yep, got a ticket in the mail 2 days ago, I think that day I had to go slow thru the sun pass cause I had an idiot up front, so they could snap a photo which they were kind enough to mail along with the ticket :rockets

·
Registered
443 Posts
Am I missing something :tard ? So basically from some of the posts here, some of you guys are purposely riding pass toll booths and counting on the chance that the cameras won't pick up your license plates for one reason or another and get a "toll free" pass through? :headscratch :angry

It's kinda idiotic IMO. I don't think money is the issue since you guys have purchased and/or modified two wheeled speed toys that realistically is an unnecessary expense if money is that tight. Plus there are always toll free roads; it might not be the best way to a destination but its free.

So I guess it's the thrill or a "rebel" sense and putting one over the system? :dunno I guess to each his own... personally it's not my cup of tea. I don't see any thrill in swindling out a few dollars from a toll booth.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Theft is theft, and if you goofs lead such shallow lives that the best you can do is swindle a few coins from the highway authority (which, if you look at it is stealing from yourself) then all of you need to get a better perspective on what's important. Sheesh!

DW

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
ya, i somewhat agree. I see it as being a hassle to stop, get out change and then put it in. I have the EZ pass back in Jersey and that works well

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I've thought about getting a sunpass for the bike, but I know that sooner or later I will leave it on the bike, and that will be the last I will see of it...

·
Registered
330 Posts
Theft is theft, and if you goofs lead such shallow lives that the best you can do is swindle a few coins from the highway authority (which, if you look at it is stealing from yourself) then all of you need to get a better perspective on what's important. Sheesh!

DW
One of the toll hwys. referenced earlier here in Canada (Hwy. #407) may have significantly higher tolls than some U.S. toll hwys. The charge per kilometer on Hwy # 407 is $0.176/km (that's $0.2816/mile eqivalent). 40 mile trip, one way, costs $11.264 plus video charge of $3.55 per trip.
Return trip would be $29.628. If it's your only viable route to work & back daily, that amounts to over $2,000.00 per season assuming regular use so we're not talking chump change here. (There's no "all inclusive monthly pass" available) Also; this highway was sold to a private (for profit) consortium in France after it's constrction. By chance or on purpose; should I screw them for the odd toll charge, I will lose no sleep over it - that's for sure:thefinger

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Sorry, I didn't realize that we were dealing with Situational Ethics here, and that the cost of something determined whether or not it was OK to steal it. I'll remember that, the next time I'm at Starbux, and (not) paying $5 for a 50-cent cup of coffee. That's OK, right?

DW

·
Registered
443 Posts
If it's an out of state toll what can they do anyway? I'd wait for a second notice...
If you disregard their attempts...send you to a collections agency and/or note your credit report.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Sorry, I didn't realize that we were dealing with Situational Ethics here, and that the cost of something determined whether or not it was OK to steal it. I'll remember that, the next time I'm at Starbux, and (not) paying $5 for a 50-cent cup of coffee. That's OK, right?

DW
Well, I have no issue walking away from the Stabucks example you give but if I chose to take a different hwy. because of the tolls, it costs me additional travel time. Now; I recevie an invoice every month for tolls from this hwy. and pay the bill on time. All I'm saying is that if they don't capture my plate number every trip I take because my plate is tucked up under my fender, too bad for them and I don't feel bad about it because I know they making a pile of money from the majority of trips I do take. If it becomes a big deal to them, they need to develop some better technology to ensure they get a photo of my plate every time. My guess is - there's a "lost trips" factor built into their balance sheet. By the way, if they do catch you with no plate or an un-readable plate - $50.00 per trip charge regardless of distance travelled so there is some motivation not to rip them off (at least intentionally).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts