Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i have both the front brake and the clutch master cylinder off, i have the levers off and the springs and everything out, i am sand blasting the inside of both due to some residue and rust collecting inside. so im wondering if i should tape off the site glass and maybe put down a layer of primer before filling them up and putting the rebuild kits in them? i have alot to do to this bike, just got the new "d" transmission i got off fleabay today, also picked up a new thermostat and fan switch along with two master cylinder rebuild kits, i also have the swingarm off for a good sanding and polishing along with polishing the frame. im thinking about doing an engine rebuild with all new gaskets while i have the engine out. i know im going to have to order a "d" front sprocket to go with my "d" transmission that im putting in my "c" model, ill probally go up one tooth in the front since im going to have to get one. the clutch came with the tranny i got off fleabay. so before i put it in maybe i should order a new set of clutch plates?? also i was wondering about sending the tranny out to be undercut before putting it in, but i think alot of you will say thats overkill? also im thinking about sending in my cams to web-cams to have them hard welded and regrind for a more aggressive cam timing, i wanna build this engine a bit but im not sure how far i wanna take it, was thinking about going with a turbo set up over the winter but mayb ill just go with a fully built n/a engine. anyways i should prime the inside of the master cylinders yes?

·
Registered
562 Posts
muzzy has cams too
i think the trans is ok like it is....i personally like the neutral finder off,and the shift arm swinging alittle farther ,both for better shifting,and longer lasting

......also....i like turbos,but if i was going allbuilt na....ide go with either one of these....or both

http://www.muzzys.com/ZX11/index.html 1195 bigbore block

or this zx1140 thatsa +3 stroker kit....and +1 bigbore

http://www.muzzys.com/catalog/engine_pts.html

or a combination of the stroker kit.....with the bigblock....ide go with the +3,resulting in a 1257 : )....thats on the first link

but i have no experiencewith these strokers or big bore.....i would think mhzzy doesgood on the stroker....but i like marine crankshaft that titanium nitrides it....if you want the muzzy....ide make sure they add that coating

i think ninja11zx on here has the 1195....but superbike mike makes it too..not sure whats best

saw this from a 2006 post....not sure what sbm does now

"good luck finding one, there aren't many on the market. But if you plan to spray or boost your motor, I HIGHLY suggest going with a Muzzy nikasil block, and not SBM's steel sleeve - his won't hold a head gasket with a power adder. -Dean"

·
Registered
562 Posts
those are alot of money.......sometimes i feel like its about the same money as a turbo....and i want to just get a turbo and be done with it....lol....if turbo,ide get the stronger 2nd gear that someone makes,forgot who,probally orient express,star racing,or schnitz racing

ok...heres onefrom ape,its 2nd gear for zx11 "d" model.....scroll down to left...good price..ide get this anyway

http://zxzone.com/trans.html

if i had the money....i probally would have got those

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys, i know claude here told me the "d" tranny swaps in my "c" as long as im replacing the entire tranny as a whole, but does that include the clutch? because the tranny i got has the clutch on it as well. also im replacing it due to my second gear being out from the PO so a stronger second id be very interested in, thanks guys.

·
Registered
562 Posts
i think the clutch is the same,so if you got the whole tranny with the clutch on it,i would think its a drop in....claude will probally know for sure

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i definatly am going to upgrade the second gear from ape, but is the 4th gear worth replacing as well for 250 or not guys? is it because 2nd and forth work together or is that not the case?

·
Registered
682 Posts
"anyways i should prime the inside of the master cylinders yes"

you should put NO paint on the inner bore or inside the res. of the master cylinders.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
right, i knew not to put paint, but i should prime inside the res of the brake and clutch masters right, prime only right?

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
umm, no. primer is paint dude. Come on now. Nothing should be INSIDE the thing.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
masta why are you so negative bro? i mean seriously thats what thse boards and foums are for, people who dont know differant and are asking questions, and on everyone of my threads ive ever asked a question about you always have some critism or something negative to say, and i just dont understand why people post answers on here like the people asking the questions are supposed to know the answers. the reply before yours told me yes i should prime it, but not paint it, so if your saying prime is paint, then i should not spray anything after sandblasting the inside?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok im sorry, i read it wrong, so just sandblast it and leave it at that, ok thats all i wanted to know, and honestly i didnt think i should paint or prime the inside of it, but i just wanted to post it and make sure, i thought it might not hurt anything to prime it, but i had a feeling to just leave it sandblasted anyways and thats what i did anyways

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
now that i think about it though, the breakdown of paint and or primer inside the master cylinder would be a very bad thing so. i answered my own question, but thanks anyways

·
Registered
562 Posts
i think 2 and 4 gear do work together.....but the real big pressure thats put on these gears is when using an extender arm with wheelie bar and big tire where hard launches create alot of force to tranny that otherwise wouldnt see.

so if your not doing these huge launches with sticky tire and wheelie bar...you probally dont need it,but the stronger 2nd wouldnt hurt for normally setup

on another note,its these hard take off drag setups,that create the high g's that throw the oil out of the sump....and into the back of the motor,causing to throw a bearing

this is the other cause of spun bearings,besides the low oil level,or wheelie scenario.....and why they install stuff like dry sumps,deeper sumps,,or welding in windage trays,or oil pans with "swinging pickups" .....or besides the dry sump.....a combination of the others.

·
Registered
495 Posts
i definatly am going to upgrade the second gear from ape, but is the 4th gear worth replacing as well for 250 or not guys? is it because 2nd and forth work together or is that not the case?
It's the sixth gear that locks the 2nd gear output to the shaft. The dogs on the sixth gear and the holes on the 2nd get worn and won't stay engaged. You need to replace both gears and perhaps a shifter fork as well.

2nd gear;

6th gear;

These were the ones that I had replaced in my C.

cheers

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
oh ok, well ill be working on taking the engine out today, draining the fluids as we speak, and i saw a d tranny on ebay so i just went ahead and bought it, ill get a shift fork if needed once i tare into it. ill keep you posted and thanks for the info

1 - 17 of 17 Posts