Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so right now im at work. and like usual on my hour lunch i like to go out and ride when ever i get a chance. this time no different than normal... so i think i start the bike up let it warm up a little and im getting ready to pull off. well now the bike feels like its in hole or on a hill. so i give it a little gas a start to go. wait a minute this dosnt feel right. so i pull over and low and behold my tire is flat. i start looking it over and notice what at the time looked like a pebble turns out to be a nail :cussing. now my question to you all is should i get the tire plugged or replace it. if it were my truck i would just plug it no questions. but my bike is a little different story. it's a dunlop sportmax d220. sorry to :rant

p.s. would there be a tube in the tire? i have never had to deal with this.

·
Registered
157 Posts
If its on the side, No but if in the middle it may stand a chance of being plugged.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i did plug it for now so i could get home looking at new tires now. any suggestions on which ones to go with i would appreciate it!!

·
Registered
330 Posts
If you are still looking for input on this subject - have a look at page #3 of the ZX-6R forum. I had the same thread (even titled the same) June 25th or so when I picked up a nail in my rear tire. Have been very happy with my replacement tire so far. The shop I took my bike to basically said " if you want it plugged; take it somewhere else - we won't do it." Sales tactic or genuine concern for my safety; who knows. The nail I picked up was about
2" off center but sort of at the top of a tread indentation. Good luck with your search for new rubber:crazyloco

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
crazy it was titled the same. thanks for the info im looking at a new tire now. i did get it plugged so i could get home the kit cost me like 3 bucks so i figured what the hey. im still up between the pp or qual. the shop that i get the work done at said they have been sailing alot of the cont sprt attack. do you have the pp on the front too or just rear?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Tire choice will go all over the place, but my personal favorite is the Metzler Sportec M3. Front and rear, they heat up nicely, and hold on the turn very well for a "street" tire. That's my .02

·
Registered
164 Posts
I agree with the metzler m3 comment...very nice tire. I'm runnin pp's right now and love them also...depends on how you ride and what you do. But when you ask about tires...it's like asking about exhaust, everyone has their own favorite. Good luck

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah thats wht i thouhgt i just orderd some conti sport attack. so we will see how they are. im not an aggresive rider and do not do alot of twisties. my local bike shop said they are selling alot of them lately and they hear good things about them. im sure they are no pp's or any thing but for the price i couldnt touch the pp's. ill get the pp's next time around.

·
Registered
330 Posts
crazy it was titled the same. thanks for the info im looking at a new tire now. i did get it plugged so i could get home the kit cost me like 3 bucks so i figured what the hey. im still up between the pp or qual. the shop that i get the work done at said they have been sailing alot of the cont sprt attack. do you have the pp on the front too or just rear?
PP rear - stock rubber still on front - no negative handling issues. I'm not dragging knee but am using pretty close to full ridable on rear.

·
Registered
1 Posts
To plug or not to plug

Hey EKOOG82, If you can plug that tire it would have to be tubeless, otherwise it would get a tube patch, Those Dunlops are pricey and nice but honestly I would replace it.. your only on two tires and if you blow one in a corner its not worth the money you saved on plugging, besides tires aren't as tough after a repair, you should keep the bike under like 100 mph if its plugged.. we all know how hard that is... -Ride On- Laters, -E- Dog

1 - 12 of 12 Posts