Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone riding with a plug/patch in their rear tire? Picked up a nail the other day just at the edge of the chicken strip area of my rear tire. Only 1,200 miles on the tire with lots of life still in her. Wouldn't be concerned if it was a car tire but bike :headscratch

·
Registered
157 Posts
New tire just for insurance and assurance purposes! Happened to me, it sucks!

·
Registered
92 Posts
had a plug in with a 500 mile tire --- plug works fine -- get someone who knows what they are doing. I got a new tire the first time, this was my second nail hole, so I opted to go the plug!!

·
Registered
649 Posts
I wouldn't be doing any high speed testing on a plugged tire.... maybe putting around town... I would bite the bullet and buy a new one.... but I also ride lots of twisties and high speed roads.

·
Registered
92 Posts
you should only plug a tire within an inch or 2 from center. Never near the edges because the patch wont seal right due to the shape and flex of the tire. Theres only about a 3 inch area u can work with, if its outside of that then you should buy a new tire.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'd be cautious when it comes to plugging a tire on my bike. On a car if the plug fails you still have three tires left, on a bike you would only have one. Personally I wouldn't chance it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your input guys.
Problem solved - Michelin Pilot Power 190/50 ZR 17 now installed :crazyloco

Expensive - but happy to now have a great tire with no worries :smile

·
Registered
264 Posts

You went with the 190. Did you notice any difference in handling compared to the 180?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts

Good call... plugged tires = not safe IMHO, especially if you're ripping up corners... and with a plug on the edge of your "chicken strip", no telling when it would let go on you.

As far as the 190 PP tires... that's what I'm running. Never felt so comfortable on a set of rubber. Enjoy the ride.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.