Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guy's.....i was just looking at my chain the other day and was wondering if i'm suppose to oil it or lube it in any way???

·
Registered
990 Posts
I use spray on grease designed for bike chains. If you don't lube, the front sprocket will wear out in no time at all & wear will accelerate on the chain rollers & rear sprocket.

Don't know what is available over there but Castrol chain wax seems to do the job okay without too much fling.

I did use a scottoiler but found it too messy.

Also after a while dirt will build up on the chain so that needs cleaning off as & when it needs it. There are cleaners available but kerosene is okay as long as you don't leave it on the chain too long (certain stuff can cause the 'O' rings to deteriorate & fail)

HTH

·
Registered
39 Posts
zx_rider said:
Hey guy's.....i was just looking at my chain the other day and was wondering if i'm suppose to oil it or lube it in any way???
It's a good idea to also clean the chain with a "chain cleaner" before rewaxing.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well i just oiler her up today.....and she run's quieter now!!! Thanks for the feedback Shortcircuit, and Arrowwhead!!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Your chain is one of the most important and often most neglected items. It should be checked for adequet lubrication along with slack before every ride. If needed it should be cleaned and relubed after each time you ride through dirt or wet conditions. At a minimum at every oil change you should check the chain for stretch and alignment. There are many products to choose from. Since my race team is sponsored by Dumonde Tech racing oils we use there chain lube which works very well.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I was told to lube the chain about every 100 miles, seems a bit steep, but I've lubed it about three times in my 500 miles. i figure about every day i gas up is okay (approx 120-140 miles between fill-ups).

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good stuff, thank's SV996R, and ted_garlock!!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
yea its good to clean it then lube it every few hundred miles. When i did muine the chain moved much more smoothly.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyone want to do a write-up for me and everyone else on how to adjust a chain on a 2005 ZX-6R??? Greatly Appreciated!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Put the bike on a rear stand

Make sure the chain has been cleaned and properly lubed.

Measure the chain slack. Service manual will give you a specific area to measure.

Remove cotter pin on axle nut.

Loosen axle nut just enough to let rear wheel move front to back. You still want it snug.

Tighten the axle adjusters both the same amount until the chain has the proper slack noted in the service manual.

Verify that the front/rear sprocket and chain alignment is accurate.

Make sure the tire/wheel is pushed foward up against the adjusters.

Once you are satified with the measurements then tighten the axle nut to the proper torque per the service manual

Measure the slack once more.

Install new cotter pin.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
AAA+++ Great Stuff, thanks!!! Now.....does anyone have a rear wheel stand???:tard

·
Registered
52 Posts
zx_rider said:

Just wondering how many miles you have on your ZX ?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts