Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What are the pros and cons to dropping down one tooth on the front sprocket. i have been told the it will really improve the torque on the low end and in alot of cases if you are not carefull you can get wheelie happy. i am running all stock at the moment and would like to start doing small modifications here and there as i can afford them. not really worried about the RPM increase at the higher speeds because after 120 MPH for me the race is over. not too interested in flying.

Will i see any difference in the way it rides? :headscratch
Anyone have advise on adding octane booster to the fueltant when filling up? is it good or bad? :headscratch

·
Registered
683 Posts
I changed the gearing on my ZX11 and I like it a lot. Try the sprocket change, you'll probably like it too. As for the octane booster, I would stay away from it. I quite often run race gas, but my bike has carbs and no O2 sensors. You can get away with running unleaded race gas but leaded gas will burn up your sensors.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The idea of changing the sprocket has always peaked my interest in all of my bikes, just never had the balls to do it, out of fear that I wouldnt like the feel. Its my understanding that pretty much all the stunt junkies do it, then again I could be wrong, wouldnt be the first time. Id like to hear some more feedback on this one, might just drop a big enough pair and try it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm new to this forum and new to the ZX-10 but this is not my first litter bike. I ordered a 16t front sprocket. It only cost $21 and will only take about thirty minutes to change. Ive done this before on my other bike and loved it. My point is try it out, if you dont like it change it back. Good luck. Also on my other bike which was a CBR1000RR, I lost about 12 percent on my top end.

·
Registered
65 Posts
IMO It is better to go up on the rear than down on the front. Has the same effect, plus greater options, but much more chain friendly.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The toof? You can't handle the toof!

:D

It will feel like you've added about 15 HP with a gearing change. You'll lose top end but that really shouldn't be a concern. Your speedo will be off after the change. You'll have to get a speedohealer to get it right.

·
Registered
16 Posts
teeth

I have done some research and I too agree that it is better to go up in the back over the rear sprocket. The smaller you make that front sprocket the tighter that chain has to turn on its axis and it does increase wear to some degree. I went up two teeth on the rear of my 05 Ducati 749 and I did see some bottom end difference, though I wish I had gone up another tooth, but by only going up two teeth I did not have to buy a new longer chain. My vote is to increase the rear sprocket but if you do then really do it ! go 2 or 3 or even four teeth so that you REALLY feel a big difference in the ride and if you dont like it just change it back. Remember !! it will FEEL like you have gained a bunch of power but you really have not....its just been focused in one particulure place and that is in the bottom end. My last liter bike rarely ever seen 4th gear while riding around town so the increase in the rear sprocket made for a huge difference in the type of ride. Made for wheelies on demand in any gear at any speed by just whacking the throttle real good....! do it, try it, keep it, or change back...it can all happen in the span of a weekend.

2 Cents

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just dropped a tooth in the front. The sprocket size is not that much of a difference. If you drop a tooth in the front I dont see it wearing out your chain any sooner. Plus all I had to do was buy I front sprocket which cost me abut $21, If you go up in the rear more than likely youll need a new chain. Also Im like most guys and dont have many tools, but all I did was ride it up to the nearest tire shop, they busted the nut loose, I quickly switched gears and they tightened it back up. didnt cost a penny. most people either ride or love the bikes so it seems they are happy to do it. I just had to have the tools to tighten the chain and away I went. Still think its one of the best mods you can do to these bikes.

·
Registered
53 Posts
just today went down two on the front and it is sweet. love the bottom end! and as far as wear on the chain at least this way you get to use the whole life of the chain even if it is a little shorter . I would rather that than replace a perfect chain just to go up in the rear and it only cost me 20 $ and an hour of work. If you feel like doing it don't be scared you can always change it back its only one bolt!:thumbup

1 - 11 of 11 Posts