Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently running Michelin Pilot Road,my rear tire is good,but my front is worn out.I'm considering changing my front tire to a Pilot Road 2 or 3 and eventually changing the rear to match when it's worn out.
Will there be any issues while running a different Pilot road on the front?

·
Registered
363 Posts
I think it's a legend that should be used the same brand and type of tires front and rear. A softer tire at the front is a pretty common practice. In fact I've purchased my bike with a Dunlop Sportmax Qualifier in front, and I have now a harder Bridgestone BT023 rear, and runs perfectly fine. About the rear tire, the Zx11 runs clearly better with the stock size (180/55) than the 190/50 that I've replaced.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Michelin as you know is a good tire but it all depends on how you ride and what you need the tire to do? The ideal thing would be to have the same tire (tread) front and back if you have the money to change both. Do you do a lot of city driving or Freeway driving are you aggressive in your riding or do you like to cruse? If you do a little or a combo of riding then I would buy the dual (2) compound freeway then the harder tire would be recommended.
If Money is no object then I would buy the more tacky or soft sticky compound for better Traction. Your back tire will need to be changed in about 2Kto 3K if it's half gone then you could buy the matching tire and then you will go through another back tire before the front is bad again ,at least that's the way it works on my bike. I get about 6-7K on the backs and about double that on the front and I do a lot of freeway riding with a semi soft compound tire. Money has always been a factor for me so I buy whats on sale at the time and I have used two different tread tires before and on the freeway I have not noticed a deference in-handling but I am not a Ricky racer so the gas mileage is the only thing I can judge and that has been the same for me at around 42-44 MPG at 70-85mph average.
I just bought a Bridge-stone Batl, got a great deal at $100 out the door,I always look for the deals! Safe Riding.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input.My riding is mostly country roads at usually a fast pace,unless my wife is on back,then it's cruising speed.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I think youre safe as all the Mich Pilot series tires share the same profile. I would NOT recommend mixing brands.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'll mix brands but only for the interim, Victor92 is right with the 180 being far better than the 190, Pilot roads I've found to be a good average tire but nothing spectacular as far as a tire goes, they are a bit too flat in profile and don't turn in that great (as in fast) I've been running Conti Sport Attack front and Road Attack rears now for several years, they grip like hell and their profile makes them easy to change direction with, very chuckable, they help make a ZZR more manouverable at any speed and far easier to ride all round, give them a go sometime.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
im curious to know how many miles people are getting out of the road 3s... gonna buy one.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
I think youre safe as all the Mich Pilot series tires share the same profile. I would NOT recommend mixing brands.
+1 the profile is the factor, if the tires have the same profile and the same compound its all good

·
Registered
23 Posts
fastride,how many kilometers are you getting out of the Contis?
marty mileage is subject to how they are used and where, myself the worse I've got is 3000K's or 1800 miles out of a set of Sport attacks, but that was also doing track days, The best I've got is 13,000 out of a front Sport attack and 9000 out of a rear Sport attack, but in general around 6000 for a soft rear and 9000 out of a soft front.

I've tried a few combinations for grip and mileage and came up with my normal (now) running combination, front I run a soft Sport Attack "K" construction,these give same grip as usual but have a stronger carcass and were desgned for ZX12R and ZX14, on average 13-14thou K's, on the rear I use a Road Attack "C", again a heavier construction tire,originaly made for BMW, it takes a little longer to warm up and compared to the Sport Attacks the weight is more noticable at 1st, but the "C" will run very long mileage because of it, my best on a "C: is 17,000K,s

I have customers on R1's to ZX12R,s etc that have got over 20,000K,s out of this combination, hope this helps

·
Registered
937 Posts
Thanks for the input.My riding is mostly country roads at usually a fast pace. . . snip.
You should run a soft compound tire. Pilot power 2cts are excellent. Jakewilson has low prices and free shipping. I think the 2cts have a sharper profile then the road tires. I ran the PP 2cts on my '11 and now on the '14. They stick.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
fastride,very interesting combination.I see there are sport attack and sport attack 2,as well as road attack and road attack 2.Which ones are you using?

ejmesq,what kind of mileage are you getting with the pilot power 2cts?

·
Registered
23 Posts
fastride,very interesting combination.I see there are sport attack and sport attack 2,as well as road attack and road attack 2.Which ones are you using?

ejmesq,what kind of mileage are you getting with the pilot power 2cts?
At this point in time my two bikes have different combo's! The bike I'm working on ATM has Sport Attack1 front and a Sport Attack1 rear (usualy) but will be changed for the new Sport Attack2's when they get here tomorrow :smile

my daily rider ATM is running a Road Attack2 front and a cheaper Conti Motion on the rear I've been testing on the bike. Surprisingly it's working a treat for a entry level tire. I live in a area of extreme heat and coarse road surfaces that tear tires up pretty quickly so have been trialing the Motions to see the effect, they are substantialy cheaper so it's worth looking into them. On my day rider I'll probably stick with the Road Attack2 front, it's a great "allrounder" and next on the rear I'll give the new Road Attack2 "C" construction a run, but I'm quite impressed by even the Motions performance and wear rate, it's even holding shape and not squaring off doing commuter work.

The Sport Attack2's I've got 10 sets going on 10 different bikes tomorrow, different riders doing different types of riding on very different bikes, everything from R6's to VFR1200-ZX14R, so will have a better picture about them in a few weeks. The RA2 and SA2's have been designed by the same guy who's responsable for designing the Pirelli WSBK race tires and Super Corsa's before moving over to Continental 2 years ago.

My personal choice though, testing aside, would be a Sport Attack2 to replace the SA1 on the front, if it's anything like the Road Attack2 then it's a excellent tire for stick-wear-feedback and the new RA2 "c" on the rear, I was a little disappointed with the wear rate of the last standard RA2, the "C" is a stronger tire and has a bit more tread depth as well and they get very good mileage. :smile

1 - 13 of 13 Posts