Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
VP Whoring
14,930 Posts
Never heard of em. I know cycle gear was running the pirelli diablo for about the same price. Heard a couple good reviews about those. Plus they will put them on the rim for you.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked on this after reading your post...I'm not finding a set for this price in any brand on the cycle gear site...got a link by chance?

Never heard of em. I know cycle gear was running the pirelli diablo for about the same price. Heard a couple good reviews about those. Plus they will put them on the rim for you.

·
6,898 Posts
I would never look at tires as a place to save money. No problem if they are brand name on sale. Heck we all like to save a buck. Just other places that make more sense. Never skimp on tires!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would never look at tires as a place to save money. No problem if they are brand name on sale. Heck we all like to save a buck. Just other places that make more sense. Never skimp on tires!!
Which is exactly why I said this is not a place I am willing to "cheap out" but if these are reputable tires I don't see a problem. Thats why I was asking if anyone here has heard of or used them rather than say "Hey those are cheap! Better get 'em!" lol Doing some shopping and found them, thought I would ask. I am fairly new to street riding and have never really shopped for parts or needs for a road bike, plenty for dirt, but not so much on road bikes.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I figured as such. Not trying to slam. Good to be wise and ask the questions!

Cycle Gear currently has a good price on some Pirelli Supersport street tires. You will not tear up the track with these, but are good solid tires for the street.

http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/categories/tires
No worries 57x, just wanted to put out there my experience is pretty limited with road bikes. I am on a budget, as most are right now, but not so tight of one that I will put shit tires on my bike to save a buck! I think people see the price and forget that them tires are the only little bit of anything keeping you on the road...lol...it is easy to see dollar signs when money is tight. I, like everyone, want the best deal for my money...

·
6,898 Posts
Being that you are new to a road bike, these should do fine. They are harder, similar to the ones I mentioned. Always a compromise. Long life, less sticky. If you are not pushing hard at this time they will give you good life and have you back on the road.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Being that you are new to a road bike, these should do fine. They are harder, similar to the ones I mentioned. Always a compromise. Long life, less sticky. If you are not pushing hard at this time they will give you good life and have you back on the road.
Thanks 57x, yeah I'm not pushin' real hard on it right now...I have my moments but nothing extream for sure. Ordered them and should be here in a few days. Also looking for chain and sprockets...talk about a chore...lol riveted...or not...aluminum sprocket...or not...520 conversion...or not :banghead

·
Registered
4 Posts
I doubt you'll see/notice any difference from running a 520 conversion and/or alum sprockets unless you are strictly running a track bike. Lots of opinions on this, arguments for it due to less inertia, etc. but you simply won't notice it on the street. Steel will last you longer, but on the other hand, if you like the alum & have the $$ the choice is yours.

Having a '94, I would recommend dropping the overall ration - 15/45 sprockets front/rear.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I doubt you'll see/notice any difference from running a 520 conversion and/or alum sprockets unless you are strictly running a track bike. Lots of opinions on this, arguments for it due to less inertia, etc. but you simply won't notice it on the street. Steel will last you longer, but on the other hand, if you like the alum & have the $$ the choice is yours.

Having a '94, I would recommend dropping the overall ration - 15/45 sprockets front/rear.
This bike is not going to be ran on a track so weight etc is not an issue I am concerned with at all. Mostly ran on weekend road trips, not more than a couple hundred miles round trip and the majority of the time it is cruising around town. Would you recommend the riveted chains or is a standard chain sufficient?

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
That's a tuffy. Ive never shyed away from a product just cause it had no rep but then again, they're your tires so rep has a lot to do with the decision. If they have the right speed rating, W or Z (i forget which is highest) they may be newfound gold. Just looking at the tread (scientific, I know lol) I wouldnt feel 100% in the rain, they're cut like street performance tires. The Conti Motions are great, I just got done with a pair and you cant beat'em for the price - $180 shipped off amazon for the set with 180/55 rear.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's a tuffy. Ive never shyed away from a product just cause it had no rep but then again, they're your tires so rep has a lot to do with the decision. If they have the right speed rating, W or Z (i forget which is highest) they may be newfound gold. Just looking at the tread (scientific, I know lol) I wouldnt feel 100% in the rain, they're cut like street performance tires. The Conti Motions are great, I just got done with a pair and you cant beat'em for the price - $180 shipped off amazon for the set with 180/55 rear.
I opted for the Continental Motions...$175.00 and free shipping, 120/70 front and 180/55 rear. Still tryin to figure out the chain/sprocket situation now...:headscratch

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
just FTR i have a Vee-Rubber EDGE on my rear end, and I have had a mixed experience with it. the tire grips well, even in the rain it does decent (unless I drift it in town on purpose).

The only thing is that when it got cold, the tire hardened and pulled away from the bead slightly and seeped air over night.. kinda weird. i tried re-seating the bead, and got the same result. the last time it happened i sealed the bead with some silicone and it hasn't leaked again yet. my rim might be slightly marred, but it didn't happen before with my qualifiers..

in the end it was a decent tire for a great price. idk if i would run one on the front. (i have a BT 016 there which is a great tire)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
as for sprockets, if you're looking for a ratio, i'd suggest 15/45. i have the a 520 with aluminum and no complaints.
Got the tire situation squared away but good info for when the time comes for the next set. Any suggestions on chains for the 520 and where I may it for a 94 ZX7? Maybe its just me but I am not having much luck...:rolleyes

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hmm... ebay was unfruitful for full sets.
you might have to buy sprockets individually..
lol...yeah, I have spent the better part of the afternoon looking over my options for chains and sprockets. Ebay was my first stop and honestly at this point I don't even know what chain to get that will work. I don't have any of the riviting tools for chains and am not even sure if that is something that is necessary for my bike...kind of starting to feel like I am looking for something but don't know what I am looking for...lol starting to feel a little :crazyloco and frustrated...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts