Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

Tired of being a NEWBIE

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  gsttuner 
#1 ·
Ok, I guess this is unfortunatly the point where I'm forced to show my extreme ignorance as a "newbie". I mean I know the basic frame sliders, fender eliminator kits, exhausts and what not-- but get lost as heck whenever conversation dips into PC3, Custom Map, Pazzo levers, rear cowl slipper clutch,ect. :headscratch :headscratch :tard Could you guys PLEASE elaborate and tell me what all that is/does and where I could get more info about these parts and accessories???

#2 ·
PCIII= Power Commander III, a usb based module that controlls the fuel for your engine. LOTS of d/l maps for when you do slip ons, full exhausts, race filters, etc... great unit at a great price and I always suggest this as one of the first mods

Slipper clutch, A kawasaki classic. Allows the back wheel to slip a bit so you don't get wheel hop and so on.. very good for cornering

Levers, i think should be pretty self explanatory. I mean, they replace your levers, give you adjustablility and usually look pretty good

Rear cowl, is usually used to refer to a cover for where your pass. seat goes. So you can have that solo race bike look.

Hope I could help touching on some areas

#4 ·
Hey mate!! Don't worry too much about any of this at this stage. It took me like 20 years to learn everything I know about bikes and cars, and I am still learning every day. I am from the days of "Carbs, Points and Distributors, Pushrods, etc. and am struggling myself with the new hi-tech stuff, although I try my best to stay on top off all new developments!

In a year or two, you will be amazed as to what you have picked up from speaking to people and asking questions.Never be afraid to ask, most people will be too willing to help!

+1 +1 on the Kawa Slipper clutch!!! The Slipper clutch that Kawasaki use is a "Back Torque Slipper Clutch", in other words, when you gear down violently approaching a corner or stop, the back wheel will not totally lock-up like in older bikes, preventing the rear wheel from sliding out and bouncing around. The clutch will however not slip under acceleration (from there the Back-Torque), so watch out, you can still spin the back wheel out from under you during acceleration out of a corner!!

#6 ·
Yeah thanx lots!! That PCIII Commander is whats striking my interest the most. Definitly gonna do heavy research on that. How many of you guys actually have one and how much do they go for??

#7 ·
i got mine for $280 and I love it. It was the first mod i did and i put the stock exhaust map on it and instantly noticed smoother acceleration. then i put on the 2bros pipe and left the stock exhaust map, took it for a ride and i could feel a big loss in low end power. I went back home d/l the map for the slipon and bamb, bike feels great. now i'm going to try a custom map that a guy from here sent me, and see how that feels.
PCIII i think is one of the best first mods to buy. it is something that will follow you through out the rest of the mods you make

#8 ·
I have one on mine - got a pipe and a dyno tune after installing it.. I'm very satisfied. Paid about $250 for my PC3, but the pipe and the tune set me back another $600 or so.... Pipe or not, the PC3 definitely will let you smooth up the acceleration.

#10 ·
Yeah I am planning on getting mods on it. Stock exhaust isn't too attractive. Next question is whenever you get the PCIII and you want to do somethin like smooth out the acceleration after installing a new exhaust. How hard is that to do?? Is it better left to a professional??

#15 ·
Frame sliders and spools are the little black or chrome etc. Bars that stick out the side of ppls bikes. They basically keep more of ur bike off the ground and helps keep ur farings off the ground and save a little more of ur bike if u lay it down. HIGHLY RECOMENDED! They were my first mod.... Followed by L.E.D.'s (WOOT) lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.