Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
my 98 zx6r front tire is a 120/60, and the rear tire is a 170/60.

i would like to get a set of pirelli corsa iii tires but they do not come in 120/60 or 170/60.

for the front, can i go to 120/70 w/out any problems?

for the rear, can i go up to 180/55 w/out any problems?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Check tyre width to swingarm clearance. Also compare tyre diameters. You might have to "raise" forks to correct any changes to rake angle.
gammac

·
Registered
683 Posts
A 120/60 has a tire height of 120mm X .60 = 72 mm.
A 120/70 .... 120mm X .70 = 84 mm.

12 mm difference. Is that a major difference for handling? Not sure.

170mm X .60 = 102 mm tire height.
180mm X .55 = 99 mm.
A difference of 3 mm is not significant IMO. I would definitely not be scared to put the 180/55 on the back. I'm not sure about the front though.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
It's not only about tire's circumference. As gammac wrote, swingarm clearance must be checked. Also, going wider always slow down the steering a bit; it sometimes can be negligeable but it's always true.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all the input guys.

i really do not like straying away from the manufacturer's specs, so i am also looking at other tire models from pirelli (i might have to even go the michelin or bridgestone route :puke).

thanks again.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Indeed a larger profile on the front tyre would technically increase the rake angle as well as the trail distance, which should make the bike more stable at high speed, but would make the "turn-in" into corners slowers. The larger profile front tyre would technically also have more mass, thereby increasing the "Gyro"-effect of the front wheel.

I specifically added "technically" to all statements as there are many other variables that affect handling such as tyre tread radius, stiffness of the sidewalls, different weights of tyres from different manufacturers, compounds, etc.

A lot of times it is an expensive exercise of trial and error to find the right tyres for your bike.

Example:- we have switched from the Dunlop Qualifiers to the Michelin Pilot Powers on the ZX10R (same sizes) and the handling was dramatically improved! (after trying several other makes and sizes) Not saying anything against any other brand here, the same results could possibly have been obtained by some other brands as well !!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts